Registry Assistance Please

Act of Kindness 08:25 16 Jun 2003

I am running XP Pro and I am seeing that my PC is taking an age to boot. I also received via email (junk mail) PC Fix-it test and it scanned my registry and showed at the end I have 48 errors. Now one does expect this type of result when someone is trying to sell you something.

So I ran sfc /scannow now errors found nor are there any orphaned files in the registry (that I can see) from program deletions.

So my question is what software is out there that would be good, reliable and fix any issues in the registry with out it totally messing up the computer.

Any assistance in this are will very much appreciated.. Thank you

Lú-tzé 08:36 16 Jun 2003

Get Bootvis from the MS site and follow details to decrease boot time; also ensure that as little as possible is running at startup.

Have a look at blackviper.com for WinXP services that are necessary, and those which can be avoided.

MichelleC 08:37 16 Jun 2003

REGISTRY REPAIR

Try this:

Go to Start > Shutdown, and choose 'Restart the computer in MS-DOS'

At the blinking cursor, type the following commands successively, hitting 'enter' after EACH line:

cd\
cd windows\command
scanreg /fix

The Scanreg tool will now proceed to rebuild your registry, which can take some time.

When it finished, type exit or win, followed by hitting 'enter' to return to Windows.
Ctrl-alt-delete will work as well.

You will have refreshed, compacted and repaired your Registry, and this sometimes fixes this type of registry error.

Lú-tzé 08:38 16 Jun 2003

And to check the registry, try jv16.org - the registry tool there is free and good.

MichelleC 10:54 16 Jun 2003

Maybe you can't get ms-dos in xp (why?). Bill doesn't make things easy.

I don't know if the reg repair will work in dos.

jbaker65 11:14 16 Jun 2003

Hi, Easycleaner from Toniarts has served me well for a couple of years. It's free and easy to use. regards, John.

Act of Kindness 11:39 16 Jun 2003

Thanks to all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?