Registring domains for clients?

Patr100 00:50 19 Sep 2007

Just asking what those practice it . If you are required to register a domain on behalf of a client eg for webdesign - If you pay for it eg with your credit card do you usually put your details as the contact/registrant - with the client's agreement of course - or make other arrangements ?

What works best for you in practice?

DieSse 01:22 19 Sep 2007

Theses days I always use my own details - otherwise vital communications from the hosting company may not get sent on to you. Just be upfront with the way you do it.

If you need to host a number of sites you may like to consider a larger hosting account which can be used to host many sites - effectively becoming a "sort-of" reseller. For instance look at the awardspace click here $9.99 package - facilities for quite a lot of sites under one account.

Or consider becoming a proper reseller if you do lots of sites.

I find the free awardapace account with their 5 free subdomains (which don't involve registration of a domain name) a great way to do tests, and present work-in-progress to a client.

Patr100 01:37 19 Sep 2007

Yes I am looking at a number of hosting options including reselling but in terms of the domains, Taking them on under one's own adminsitration is probably the easiest way However, part of me wonders in the unlikely event - I got ran over by a bus or was incapacitated -How would the client be able to claim or take control over their domain?

DieSse 01:54 19 Sep 2007

How would the client be able to claim or take control over their domain?

You either give them all the details, or give the details to a trusted third party, or store all the details in an easily locatable place known to the client etc, etc.

DieSse 01:58 19 Sep 2007

PS - also worry about the actual web as it exists in your system, in the same circumstances - e.g. - source code, software used, etc.

Also worry VERY MUCH about having good backups in the case of fire, theft, or anything else that might lose you all your source data, software, etc. - which could ruin your business and reputation.

Forum Editor 17:45 19 Sep 2007

but put yourself down as the technical/admin contact. As fourm member says, you must notify your clients with the precise details of what you've done, and how to make changes if something happens to prevent you from acting on their behalf.

Patr100 11:35 20 Sep 2007

Yes it's been a while since I registered anything but I think there are now more contacts that can be indicated when doing so to separate them now but my old 1 & 1 domains have only only one contact that cannot be altered.

I am likely to use Daily.co.uk in future and though it's nice to have all together , if necessary each on a different account so all relevant parties can access control directly if necessary, without seeing everyone elses domaains.

-

Ysa 08:30 21 Sep 2007

I can advice you also to go to click here , it is not free hosting but you are able to host more than one domain.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?