regedit is not a valid Win32 application

redbarron 16:26 06 Dec 2006

Can anyone help please.

When typing 'regedit' in the 'Run' box, the message 'regedit is not a valid Win32 application' pops up on my screen.

Can someone tell me how to rectify this please. I can live with it, and work around it if it means I have to resort to a full reinstall of Windows XP Pro. But if it can be fixed with less drastic measures, I'm all ears.

Thank you

redbarron

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:39 06 Dec 2006

Not a valid win32 Application
click here

redbarron 14:51 07 Dec 2006

Thanks for your help Fruit Bat.

I did a scandisk but it did not help. And according to the defrag analyzer I don't need to defrag.

So, still have the same problem. I have Norton Antivirus 2007. I done a full scan and all is well on that front.

Done a scan with Reg Cure. It picked up on the usual stuff, but still keep getting this error message when typing 'regedit' in the 'Start' 'Run' box.

rawprawn 15:07 07 Dec 2006

Try a system file scan, go to Start/Run/type sfc /scannow (Watch the space between sfc and /) hit enter. You will need your XP CD

keef66 15:13 07 Dec 2006

search for regedit.* and see how many files it locates.

try typing regedit.exe in the run box

woodchip 15:17 07 Dec 2006

Try double click on the File Regedit after doing a search for it

redbarron 16:30 07 Dec 2006

Thanks all for your input.

rawprawn. I carried out your suggestion but it didn't work.

keef66. I typed in your suggestion, but it popped up a box saying "Cannot find file" etc etc.

woodchip. Done the search as you suggested and it found 'regedit' in the service pack files. By the way I have SP2 installed. I then clicked on the 'regedit' file in 'search' and it opend up the regedit registery for me. So it is there, it just ain't playing ball from the 'Run' box.

Any more idea's appreciated. Thanks all

rb.

brundle 16:34 07 Dec 2006

It could be a damaged shortcut - you should find RegEdit in c:\Windows - is that the path of the file you found using Search?

redbarron 16:57 07 Dec 2006

Hi brundle.

This is the file path that regedit displayed in the 'Search'box.

C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i...

Still in 'Search'. If I click on the 'regedit' icon it takes me straight to the 'Registry Editor'.

rb

woodchip 20:11 07 Dec 2006

You can right click the file and drag a shortcut to Desktop or Quick start bar

woodchip 20:12 07 Dec 2006

You could also right click and drag to the Windows Folder and choose copy. Then try it from run

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?