Regcure worth it? alternative?

Roy* 14:04 10 Jan 2009

I’ve downloaded this Regcure tool from here click here

When I ran it, it found over 1600 problem which it could fix but obviously the trick they play is that you need to register it and pay $30 for it to fix everything. This may be reasonable but I stopped at this point. Does anyone know if this is a worthwhile investment or are there plenty of free tools out there that will do the same?

I found after searching for the 1024 error I get due to my Speedtouch modem drivers needing updating. I know there are many ways to fix that but the Regcure thing seems to find loads more issue?

DieSse 14:11 10 Jan 2009

I use the free version of Wise Registry Cleaner - does the job fine for me.

I also use their Disk Cleaner, which is far better than the standard Windows one.

Other people swear by CCleaner.

Wise Cleaners click here

CCleaner click here

AL47 14:12 10 Jan 2009

ccleaner is what i use, free and i find it flushes out most things

and its up to you what you ditch!

provider 2 14:13 10 Jan 2009

RegCure doesn`t seem to be popular here ... too aggressive, expensive etc.

The reg cleaner tool in Ccleaner is a better option, I think, with its save existing reg prompt.

Eusing Reg Cleaner has its fans too.

Then again there are plenty who say the risk of doing major damage to the OS just isn`t worth the risk of using a reg cleaner at all.

One of those things you must decide for yourself and accept the responsibility if anything goes wrong and you haven`t saved the existing registry.

cocteau48 14:32 10 Jan 2009

Almost without exception nearly every "paid for" registry cleaner/tweaker will find dozens if not hundreds of supposed problems to be fixed.
It the only leverage they have got to get you to part with your hard earned drinking vouchers.

The Giveawayoftheday site was touting a reg cleaner only yesterday. If you have the time have a read at the 84 comments which that generated regarding the pros and cons of using a reg cleaner.click here

birdface 14:39 10 Jan 2009

Firstly you downloaded it from a bad site.So I would run your security programs to make sure you have not picked up a nastie.And like both of the other answers.C Cleaner.Eusing or Winaso.All probably better than Regcure and all free.

Roy* 14:43 10 Jan 2009

How do you know that? It was a google search sponsored, whatever that means? OK thanks guys will run security.....

birdface 08:29 25 Aug 2009

Wonder how that managed to get back on here without and update since 10.1.09

birdface 08:41 25 Aug 2009

Freebie for 24 hours if anyone interested.

click here

birdface 08:43 25 Aug 2009

So far it gets the thumbs down from users so maybe better sticking to C Cleaner.

Andsome 08:46 25 Aug 2009

C Cleaner has never let me down and I have used it for years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?