Regarding freezing a duff HDD to remove data...

Graphicool1 09:30 22 Feb 2010

I have heard - although not tried - that it is possible to freeze a duff HDD, leaving you thirty minutes or so to remove data. I have such a HDD, however it contains far more data than could be removed in half an hour.

My question is...If I were to try this method of data recovery and wasn't able to retrieve all the data required, could I repeat the process again? If the answer is yes, then how many times?

canarieslover 11:10 22 Feb 2010

I have successfully used this method before, but it is a bit hit & miss. Someone else that I suggested this to on this forum also put bags of frozen peas around the drive to keep it cool while retrieving data and got a much greater time to enable him to do it. My method is to wrap drive in absorbant tissue and place in plastic bag and seal it. Leave in freezer for an hour or so then connect up and try to get data off. Personally I prop mine up outside the case but connected as an internal drive. If you leave it in the wrapping. with the connections made through the mouth of the bag, you should be able to try the frozen peas as well, though I should imagine a frozen joint of beef will do just as wel. Usual warnings apply as regards 'don't try this at home unless you are as desperate as I was' and disconnect from mains while you are inside computer.

canarieslover 11:11 22 Feb 2010

Forgot to add, 'Good luck'.

Graphicool1 11:47 22 Feb 2010

Re your name, does apply to the birds or Norwich football team? Just wondered.

canarieslover 13:29 22 Feb 2010

Try the islands.

Graphicool1 13:08 25 Feb 2010

Oh right! I've never been, that's why I didn't think of them.

canarieslover 13:35 25 Feb 2010

Did the freezing do the trick?

Graphicool1 14:02 25 Feb 2010

I'm afraid I've been bogged down in other work, so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. But when I do, regardless of the outcome, I'll post a thread.

As you said it was "a bit hit and miss" I'm thinking that perhaps it may depend on the reason the HDD stopped working working in the first place?

I've had 3 HDD's go belly up on me. The first was apparently through heat. The reason the other two went is unknown. Since the first one went I've added an extra 4 internal fans. So I'm pretty sure I didn't lose the others through heat. There were no tell tale clicks or shrieks, just on one day and not on the next. ¦¬} G1

Graphicool1 09:52 11 May 2010

I actually got round to giving it a go, but sadly I have to report that it didn't work for me.

I know how the Data Recovery Lab's do it. They strip down the the US HDD case, remove the disc and put it in another, known to be good drive. Although I think you'd have had to have lost some really serious data to go down this route.

So I think I'll give it a miss. Draw a line under it and mark it down to experience. Cheers anyway ¦¬} G1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017