refurbished TV

langdaler 10:46 23 Jun 2008

has anyone experience/opinions on 'refurbished' electrical items?
i have the chance to buy a refurbished top of the range Philips LCD TV,complete with 3 years manufacturers warranty,for £800,which is approximately half the original selling price.The particular model had many problems at the outset but i would assume all those had been rectified by now.
i have not previously bought such items so would this be a 'wise' buy or should i look to current,newer models as a better investment?

chub_tor 12:01 23 Jun 2008

If you are satisfied with the quality of the picture, sound, input capabilities etc then the key aspect of the deal is the warranty. Do a thorough check on what is covered over the 3 year period eg will they replace it with a new one after 35 months if it fails, do you have to take it back to the shop for repair, will they pay for it to be returned to them and back to you, will they come to your house and try to fix it there. If it is a sound warranty, you like the set and it is half price then it is worth a punt.

birdface 13:42 23 Jun 2008

I suppose it is like buying a second hand car.You either get a good one or one thats never out of the garage.You know the make and model try shopping around and see how cheap you can get the new one for.Not that long ago since Sony was giving a 5 year guarantee with some of their TV's

langdaler 21:35 23 Jun 2008

thanks for those comments so far.i have a few days to decide,will take those suggestions on board.appreciated.

Technotiger 21:51 23 Jun 2008

Can you tell us the actual Model Number?

Technotiger 21:52 23 Jun 2008

Looking at this lot click here £800 seems quite a lot?

Technotiger 21:56 23 Jun 2008

Or if it is one of these, then yes it may be a bargain click here

langdaler 09:53 24 Jun 2008

as a further comment,the specific model i had in my mind was this one-click here to the models indicated above,i accept it is a much more expensive and top of the range one,therefore cost is much higher.the fact i could get it at virtually half price was what stirred my interest.

langdaler 09:59 24 Jun 2008

just noticed link may not be working;if not,the specific model is the Philips PF9731D,currently avaialble at Empire Direct for £1499

chub_tor 10:43 24 Jun 2008

Amazon have the 32" version for £600 click here

Technotiger 10:45 24 Jun 2008

Having looked at its' prices from various sources, I would say Yes, £800 is a very good bargain price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017