refresh rate regulations

tlm2 14:54 19 Mar 2003

Saw a reference in PC Advisor some months ago to some Regulations on the recommended minimum refresh rate for computer screens - they were Swedish (or other EU) I think. Does anyone have a link to or reference for these ?

Regards to all

tlm2

Gongoozler 15:23 19 Mar 2003

tlm2, I can't find any direct reference to the regulation, but these two sites refer to it and VESA in recommending about 75Hz as the minimum click here and click here

jazzypop 15:53 19 Mar 2003

I am not aware of any Regulations that require a minimum refresh rate.

To the best of my knowledge, the only explicit legislation that relates to computer screens (in this context) is Statutory Instrument 1992 No. 2792 - The Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992 - click here

This makes no explicit reference to refresh rates, but does refer to legibility of text.

There is a leaflet available from the Health & Safety Executive that gives general guidance regarding safe use of computer workstations (the leaflet is number INDG36, available from click here .

There are a number of industry guides, standards and recommendations, none of which are directly enforceable in UK or EU law, but which may well be considered 'best practice' when trying to determine a safe system of work.

Is there a specific reason for asking, or just general interest?

tlm2 16:01 19 Mar 2003

Thanks Gongoozler - useful links. Thanks also to Jazzypop - had tried HSE site and links and was amased to note that there are no official Regulations since 1992 bearing in mind what was in every day use then as opposed to what we use today; hence my original post. Mind you as TFT screens slowly become the norm this will gradually cease to be as relevant. General interest as much as anything else by the way.

tlm2

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?