Reformatting Question

Fateful Shadow 14:03 04 Feb 2007

A friend of mine would like to reformat his hard drive. However, he has not got his original recovery discs and his laptop was shipped without the OEM disc of XP Home.

Is there any way in which he can reformat his hard drive without the above items? I have told him that I can't think of any other way, and I'm hoping someone in here might be able to lend a hand

Fateful Shadow 14:04 04 Feb 2007

...or give some advice on what he could do next.

Thanks =]

Totally-braindead 14:09 04 Feb 2007

I might be wrong with this but I think that as long as he has the Windows COA code he would be able to format and reinstall using any windows disk as long as it was the same ie windows home if that was what his code entitled him to.
Of course all the drivers etc would no longer be there, if it does work then he would be better to find all relevant drivers first and copy them onto disk before trying it.
Note please that I said I think this would work I am not 100% sure myself as I haven't done it using a computer that previously had a restore disk.
Better to wait and see if someone who has actually done this has more info.

Strawballs 15:36 04 Feb 2007

What make and model is the laptop some come with windows recovery on a hidden partion as well.

Fateful Shadow 20:20 04 Feb 2007

Thanks for the replies.

It looks as though he has a recovery partition on his hard drive, so (unless he's somehow managed to screw it up) everything should be ok now.

Thanks again =]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone