Reformatting problems

Tessa348 14:14 16 Feb 2007

I attempted to reformat a hardrive having backed up all the drivers for the motherboard etc. I used fdisk as I wanted partitions (something I have done many times previously with other pcs).
Having created partitions, on reboot volume labels had been stratngely allocated to D & E drives although I had not yet reformatted, which is when these usually get labelled. E Drive had been given *remote* label in lowercase (normally only uppercase works. I was prevented from formatting D or E as after the command prompt this was classed as 'invalid'. I am at a loss at to what to do next with this as I cannot seem to get over this incorrect volume label. Has anyone get any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:17 16 Feb 2007

fdisk will not work with NTFS drives.

Boot with a XP CD delete all partitions, install XP, then use disk management to create/format the other partitions as you need them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:18 16 Feb 2007
  Tessa348 14:31 16 Feb 2007

Thanks for this Fruit Bat. Not using NTFS but Fat 32. Currently not accepting the WinXP Disc as stating invalid or the WIN XP boot discs. I am going to go through the info link you have sent to glean more info - thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?