Reformatting my HD - Need help!

Multi_sheep 16:03 10 Feb 2007

Hello,

My computer is being eaten away with a a few trojans and Ive tried every virus protection and doctor and they are still tucked up in my computer, eating away its speed and usuablity - I need to get rid of them.

Ive decided that I will have to reformat my hard drive and have no idea what IO havwe to do in preparation aswel as actually doing the deed.

What I would like to know is :

- How do I actually reformat my Hard Drive?
- What do I actually have to backup? (just my personal things like word docs, programs and picture?)
- Ay programs which I have used a serial key for on my PC, will they be able to work on my PC after reformatting? meaning will I be able to reinstall them without the software saying thats its already been registered?
- Lastly, will XP be easy enough to load back ontop the PC?

Thankyou all in advance for ANY help!

ed-0 16:22 10 Feb 2007

First thing is to back up all your docs, pictures, IE fav's and emails. Burn them to a DVD or cdr disk. Or transfer them to a usb stick or an external hard drive, if you have one.

Do you have a full windows disk ( oem or retail ) or a manufacturers restore disk. If you have a restore disk, what is the make and model of the computer.

" Ay programs which I have used a serial key for on my PC, will they be able to work on my PC after reformatting? meaning will I be able to reinstall them without the software saying thats its already been registered?"

If you have the installation disks and the serial keys, they will be fine.

" Lastly, will XP be easy enough to load back ontop the PC? "

If you have a full retail edition, an oem disk or a restore disk. Windows will format the drive and load XP for you. You will need the drivers for peripherals, keep them handy. the main thing is to be able to get back onto the internet. So have the modem driver disk handy, if you have one. if you connect via a router, you shouldn't need one. also you ISP disk.

If you can do all that then>>>>>

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:22 10 Feb 2007

1. do you have an XP CD?

2. do you have the install CD and serial keys for all your programs?

3. scan docs and pictures before backing up.

To format just boot from XP CD and follow the on screen prompts to format the partitions and reinstall XP.

Diodorus Siculus 16:26 10 Feb 2007

click here for a comprehensive guide.

Before going ahead, can you answer a question: What sort of XP disk do you have?

If you have a full CD with the operating system on it, that will be fine - just be sure you have the installation key (should be on the packaging). IF you don't, install MAgicJellyBean click here which will tell you the key.

Ensure that you backup all your data - eg whatever you have in "my documents" which you want to keep, as well as address books, favourites/bookmarks etc.

What email program do you have? Do you have a DVD writer / large capacity flash drive (usb drive) or other external drive onto which you can save your work.

Most software can be reinstalled using the installation key you have - if you have any worries, post info here.

Diodorus Siculus 16:27 10 Feb 2007

Run SIW click here to get some info about your hardware so as to be able to get the necessary drivers.

ed-0 16:28 10 Feb 2007

XP disk,

print out click here You will get the option to format the hard drive after you press F8 to accept the licence.

When you have loaded XP, install the motherboard drivers off your motherboard disk and then connect to the web.

If you have a restore disk
You should either have a program in start > all programs to re-install the operating system

or

you reboot and it will tell you to press a key to restore your computer. It's usually just a F key, like F10.

this should give you the option to restore the computer to factory settings. This will wipe the hard drive and just load windows for you.

Phphred 17:23 10 Feb 2007

It is no good backing up your stuff or you will be backing up your trojans!
You have either to get rid of them first or start again from scratch. You could try going here and downloading Trojan Hunter click here

Diodorus Siculus 17:27 10 Feb 2007

"It is no good backing up your stuff or you will be backing up your trojans!"

Strange comment I think...

You can backup any of the data I mentioned without fearing that trojans are included. If there is any doubt, run a virus checker on the medium to which they were backed up.

Phphred 18:11 10 Feb 2007

I didn't realise that a virus checker would detect trojans!

Multi_sheep 18:49 10 Feb 2007

Thankyou all for your help and comments, Im going to try and few things some of you have mentioned but I will come back to you.

for those of you that asked,I have a Windows XP OEM disk with serial on the computer and have all my CD's and serial for most of the important softwares. I also have a file system called NTFS (?).

Lastly, are there any free websites that I can backup my files to the internet?

Thankyou all again for the help.

Diodorus Siculus 19:05 10 Feb 2007

Lastly, are there any free websites that I can backup my files to the internet?

BT Vault will give you 1 gb or 2gb if you are a BT BRoadband user click here

But to be honest, that will take a long time to upload more than a few hundred MBs so you would be better with an external drive.

Your XP CD will be fine. If there are any activation problems (and there shouldn't be) you will have the option to call MS and if you explain to them what you did, they will give you a new code.

Before re-installing XP, download and save an antivirus program so that it is ready to install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?