Reformatting a HDD

kingkenny 17:44 19 Jul 2003

I have learned from a few friends that they reformat their HDD's every 6-12 months to freshen their systems up and clear the clutter. It hadn't totally evaded me as an idea but wondered what the thoughts were on the topic from my fellow PCA site members. Is it right that you lose space each time you do this?

Can people share their thought plase on this?

Thanks

scooby43 17:52 19 Jul 2003
  scooby43 17:53 19 Jul 2003

hi this may help also click here

MjM Hellfire 17:57 19 Jul 2003

I really do not see the need to do that as often as that. I only reformat when the PC tells me that things are going really bad. Always remember - if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Not really sure why people would go through the hassle of reformats every 6 months, that would drive me insane.

Basically I only reformat when there is no other option. Defrag/Scandisk/Disc Clean Up are enough for me and always ensure I have a good backup so reformatting is easy and stress free.

I personally do not see the need and fail to see what is to be gained from it, on that regularity. Yes it clears up broken files, corrupted registries ect, but so does a good backup system.

In my humble and novice opinion.

kingkenny 17:59 19 Jul 2003

Thanks for the links and the advice so far guys.
Anyone else have any thoughts on this topic?

How often, if at all, do you reformat?

My thoughts original arose due to a desire to rid my PC of everything related to kazaalite.

thanks all

spikeychris 18:05 19 Jul 2003

I was of the same ilk as your mates at one time. The reasons: loads of free download progs/trial software and anything I could get on the machine. My machines are now tweaked up to the hilt and I would not dream of a format.

As for loosing space every time you format, well not exactly. Windows keeps space set aside for its own use and the binary conversions can look like you have lost space and the 1024 issue has confused a lot of people

Chris

kingkenny 18:07 19 Jul 2003

Thx spikeychris

crx1600 18:35 19 Jul 2003

if you do reformat/reinstall, it maybe an idea to get a 'drive image' type program.

reinstalling the OS, then drivers and favoured software will take a couple of hours. when your finished you could then make an 'image' of your HDD.

then in the future rather than do the same again, just reinstall from the image. it's done it minutes rather than hours.

being in a position were you wouldn't dream of reformating, due to the amount of 'tweaks' sounds a very dodgy position to be in.

im tweaked up to the hilt, but if someone wiped my HDD, id be back up and running as i am now in about 15 minutes, thanks to a saved 'image'.

in fact i find it quicker and easier to reinstall once a week, than do any 'housework' on the current installation.

just my opinion :o)

spikeychris 18:43 19 Jul 2003

How can having the perfect running machine (for me) be a "very dodgy position to be in." what would be a good position?

I too have drive images for every drive I have.

crx1600 19:08 19 Jul 2003

How can having the perfect running machine (for me) be a "very dodgy position to be in."

thats not what i said.

"being in a position were you wouldn't dream of reformating, due to the amount of 'tweaks' sounds a very dodgy position to be in."

in response to;

"My machines are now tweaked up to the hilt and I would not dream of a format."

which i read to mean that after a format, you would need to spend time reapplying them all, whereas with an 'image' they're saved anyway.

hugh-265156 19:17 19 Jul 2003

within the first few months of getting my computer i had to reinstall xp 3 times.this was mainly because i didnt know what i was doing.

it was however good experience and very easy to do but it takes ages to download all the updates.

as above i used acronis true image to make an image of the freshly installed xp with all the updates installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie