Reformatting hard drive/reinstalling xp home

heidelberg 14:14 19 Apr 2004

I am aiming to reformat the hard drive on my pc, and reinsatll xp home along with SP 1. A couple of questions.

I have updated xp home regularly - will I have to download these updates again, or can I transfer the updates from present xp setup to the new setup by burning onto a CD?

Likewise with software such as Norton AV and Firewall, I have the 2003 versions of both, and I regularly update them. Can I transfer updates that I have downloaded since I bought these items of software or will I have to download them again?

Any advice, tips, suggestions etc. would be greatly welcomed, as would any advice/help/suggestions concerning any aspects of reformatting and reinstalling in general.

Thanks in anticipation

Dave

inneedofhelp 14:53 19 Apr 2004

The windows updates should be kept in a temp folder in the windows directory, but sometimes they are removed after installation.If they arent, then copy then downloaded package to disc and re-use, otherwise you will have to download again. As with the virus checker, im not sure.

UncleAl 15:27 19 Apr 2004

Wherever you get the updates, install them and/or an uptodate antivirus file as soon as humanly possible, certainly before you access any site other than Microsoft. I reformatted & reinstalled XP home a few months ago, and got repeated infestations of (I think) Blaster which kept causing the PC to reboot. Re-infection was occurring within minutes. This kept me amused for two days before I twigged what was happening.

jim1947 16:40 19 Apr 2004

You may consider visiting click here and following the guide to creating a slipstreamed XP SP1 installation disk. Its well worth the effort.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?