Reformatting hard drive

yahwob 12:38 26 Oct 2004

Hi,

Just about to reformat my hard drive for the second time in three months! Think I've got everything I need, recovery disk, video drivers, motherboard drivers, etc. Stupid question to start with, I know I've got to change the settings so that it boots from the CD but I've forgotten how to do that!

Also as I'm doing a clean install do I have to download service pack 1 and 2, or just 2 ?

Many thanks

CurlyWhirly 12:45 26 Oct 2004

Also as I'm doing a clean install do I have to download service pack 1 and 2, or just 2 ?

You only need to install SP2 as it contains SP1.
If you are still on dial-up then why don't you install SP2 from a PC magazine CD like the one that was on a recent issue of PC Advisor?

Eric10 12:49 26 Oct 2004

Enter the BIOS by pressing a key during boot up. It's usually DEL or F2, there may be a message on screen telling you which key to press. In the BIOS there may be a section called BOOT or it may be under Advanced Settings. Change the order of devices here so that CDROM comes first.

yahwob 12:54 26 Oct 2004

Thanks for the comments, I'm on broadband but it might be easier I guess to install SP2 from a disk.

I'm a bit of an Everquest junkie, anyone know if SP2 interferes with that at all?

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?