reformatted HD has problems

zoobie 18:56 25 Jun 2007

Long story short, I've reformatted my HD via the XP installation disk and installed XP again when it screwed up. It actually warns you that installing an OS over another may result in problems which it already has.

How would I completely wipe it clean like it was new?

Thanks

skidzy 19:04 25 Jun 2007

Format again or use something like Killdisk click here

Andy1991 19:48 25 Jun 2007

Try booting into widnows recover console and type format C:\, i think that all u need to type, or is there a bit where u hav to say "NTFS" or "FAT32". Oh, ignore, everyone contradicts me, i try to help, i just don't know anything it seems!!!

installation formats ur hard disc already, before it starts to copy files. Its called destructive install.

zoobie 19:58 25 Jun 2007

Killdisk uses a floppy? I don't even think they make computers with floppy disk drives anymore. Maybe the 17% failure rate had something to do with it.

Andy...I know the feeling.

sunny staines 20:06 25 Jun 2007

do a clean format by using the tools from the web site of the hard drive maker, you will need to put it another computer as a slave to format, had similar problem after deleting vista beta.

zoobie 20:39 25 Jun 2007

I d/l'ed SeatoolsDOS.iso but there weren't any directions...big surprise.
I have a feeling I'm supposed to burn this to a cd and it boots from there. Too bad I don't have any cd's around....just DVD's.
I suppose I could set the BIOS to boot to my DVD drive...
Yaaaaaaawn

woodchip 20:57 25 Jun 2007

You could run Killdisk from a Memory stick if your BIOS supports booting from one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache