Reformatted hard drive problem

User-315C589B-4DC7-455D-B156AB85690025CE 20:30 14 Apr 2007

Hi guys,

This is new to me so please use short words!

I have an old pc running windows 95. I'm getting rid of it to the church youth group which is just starting up (they want to use it to help one of the kids who is deaf). I have followed the Microsoft instructions for formatting my C drive. I created a start up disk, formatted the drive and got to the A prompt after competing the formatting. Now I'm stuck. I've googled and tried to get the PC to install from the windows disk in the cd drive (d) but the pc says drive error when I try. I don't know enough about dos code. What should I try now?

Thanks

Alye

mac75 20:46 14 Apr 2007

hi,

when you get to the A: prompt type setup then press enter.make sure the windows disk is in the cd drive.

good luck jim.

Madpad_001 20:48 14 Apr 2007

1. What Operating system (OS) are you tring to install?

2. Have you told your pc to boot(start from) your CD-ROM drive??

Post back and will help some more but need the above questions answered first

madpad

woodchip 20:54 14 Apr 2007

Download a Win98se Full boot disc from click here tenth file down. Put a Floppy in your computer and double click the file after downloading. start with the boot disc and win95 CD in comp. Choose start with CD rom support. after it gets back to A:\> you need to change to the CD drive if it was D:\ it will now be E:\ untill windows is loaded. So at A:\> type E: press enter , it should go to E:\> type Setup press enter, Scandisk should run, press X after Scandisk and setup should start. If the CD does not run with the above, it's because the CD drive is not supported by the Drivers on the boot floppy. You will have to connect a newer CD drive temporary

Hi

mac1 - I tried that no go I afraid. "Bad Command"

Madpad_001 - 1. I'm tying to install Windows 95 which was orriginally on the machine. 2. I did try but that's why I'm asking for advice because I don't really know what I'm doing.I've just followed instructions I found online so if you can tell me what I should do and I can tell you if I tried it.

Thanks again

Alye

mac75 21:00 14 Apr 2007

Alye,

are you using a startup disk for windows 95, if so it doesn't have drivers for the cdrom. do what woodchip suggests and see if that works.

jim.

Ok thanks,

I'll try that tomorrow (I'll have to use the kids' pc because my laptop, from which I am posting now doesn't have a floppy drive).

Alye

woodchip 21:08 14 Apr 2007

It's better to create the boot disc on a Win9 Computer not XP

Madpad_001 18:06 16 Apr 2007

Do you want re-install win 95 or do you have a copy of 98 (Just easier to install)?????

You may need to go into your BIO's and change your boot sequence (tell it to boot from your CD-ROM)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?