reformatt to like new help

ferretgirl29 18:14 29 Dec 2008

hi i want to wipe my comp to like it was when i took out of the box the first time
i have a vista operating system disk and a disk what i made when i first turned comp on but when i tryd to wipe comp they didnt seem to work also the f8 key didnt seem to work so is there a other way of doing a full wipe to what it was when i took out of the box thanks

Pineman100 18:19 29 Dec 2008

You need to give us more information about what you've tried.

Have you set the BIOS to boot first from the CD drive?

When you tried to use F8 to enter the boot options menu, did you start repeatedly tapping the key the moment you switched on the computer?

Try to be as clear as possible about what you've tried, and why it didn't work.

ferretgirl29 18:28 29 Dec 2008

not suer about the bios think i tryd from cd

yes repeatedly tapping

and i dont know it just a lot slower when it all started back up it will not do 2 things at the same time it used to and full comp sloweer

is there a way to do it from the partition were ever that is

ambra4 18:38 29 Dec 2008

Using System Restore in Windows

click here

ferretgirl29 18:43 29 Dec 2008

but does Using Windows Vista System Restore does that wipe all of my comp to when it was the day i took out of the box

ferretgirl29 18:49 29 Dec 2008

but does Using Windows Vista System Restore does that wipe all of my comp to when it was the day i took out of the box

Pineman100 19:01 29 Dec 2008

I hope this doesn't sound rude, but you don't sound as though you know much about computers (if I'm wrong, I apologise). If this is the case, I'm not sure that you should be trying to reinstall Windows. It's not rocket science, but equally it's not just a matter of a few clicks. You need to have a reasonable idea of what the procedure entails.

Unless you're confident that you can manage it - with a bit of help from some instructions - you might be better seeking some help from someone who knows what they're doing.

Anyway, if you still want to try it yourself, here's an explanation of how to boot from your Vista CD and then reinstall Windows. I'm assuming that, as you state above, you have a Vista operating system disk.

First, you need to tell the computer that it must boot from the CD drive.

Here's a set of instructions that explains this process. click here

Read them very carefully to be sure that you understand what you're doing, then follow the procedure so that your computer boots first from its CD drive.

Now open the CD drive and put in your Vista recovery disk. Close the drive. Now restart the computer. When it prompts you, tell it boot from the CD drive.

The following article gives a pretty good description of the whole reinstallation process, so - once again - study it carefully to be sure you understand what you're doing. And I strongly suggest that you print it off, so you can follow the instructions during the procedure.

click here

IMPORTANT

You do realise, I hope, that fully reinstalling Windows will destroy all your data, emails, contacts and so on. So if you have anything on the computer that you want to keep, you'll need to copy it to some form of storage - a CD, DVD, flash drive, etc.

ferretgirl29 19:06 29 Dec 2008

you not bee rude iam not the brightst spark but i tryd of the disk and when comp came back on it was slower than ever and had a bit of troubble doing it that is wy iam asking if there is any way of doing a formatt in the comp settings with out using the disks.

User-1229748 19:16 29 Dec 2008

what pc do you have? you may be able to do a recovery from a partition without using the disc.

ferretgirl29 20:12 29 Dec 2008

emachines e4212
intel pentium d processor 820 duel core
1024mb ddr2
250gb hard drive
vista

MCE2K5 20:17 29 Dec 2008

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone