reformating hardrive

bellyshere 19:00 25 Sep 2004

My computer has all of a sudden decided it doesn't want to play anymore. Slow is the word i'm looking for. So i thought if i reformat the hardrive and start afresh it would speed things up again. Do i just use the restore discs that i got with the computer? But they were full of crap i just removed anyway. Or should i do a more complicated procedure? Also, would i have to download two years worth of xp updates? Cheers in advance.....

hugh-265156 19:09 25 Sep 2004

if you re install windows you will need to get all the updates again im afraid. re installing windows would be my last option to try if everything else fails.

how much free space do you ave on your hard drive and have you run a disc cleanup and defrag lately? if not try this after uninstalling any software you dont use anymore to free up some space if running low.

do you have an up to date antivirus and have you run a scan with this lately? maybe also try running a check for adware or spyware with adaware and spybot as this can sometimes slow things to a crawl click here click here

can you post your specs please may help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?