reformat to xp from vista

Picklefactory 15:14 17 Mar 2009

Hello folks
Thought I'd best check in for some good advice prior to reformatting pc.
I currently have dual boot Vista/Ubuntu on one SATA HDD and there is a second SATA HDD (Newer and larger) just for storage. The older HDD has a poor cable connection and causes me boot issues/freezes, so I am binning it and want to reformat the remaining newer drive and revert to XP and later dual boot that with Linux all on that single drive. I seem to remember needing SATA drivers on a floppy to load XP, but can't recall where I got them from.
I've backed up all my important stuff to dvd, and I think I'm now ready to remove the old drive for recycling (Where my OS currently reside) and just use new single drive.
Any thoughts on things I shouldn't forget and things I really must ensure I do?
Thanks

crosstrainer 15:16 17 Mar 2009

You only need the sata raid drivers if you are going to use the RAID soloution.

Since you only have one drive, you won't need this.

Go into your BIOS and disable raid.

Then remove your old drive, and boot from your XP cd...Follow the normal installation procedure.

woodchip 15:20 17 Mar 2009

I think you would have to clear the Partition, then repartition as MS writes to the boot sector

Picklefactory 15:32 17 Mar 2009

I'm not using RAID (As far as I know) but I'm sure I used to have to tell XP to load SATA drivers from floppy previously. Or am I barmy?

Picklefactory 15:32 17 Mar 2009

Can I not repartition on install?

Picklefactory 15:33 17 Mar 2009

Speaking of which, as I intend to dual boot at a later stage with Linux, should I just leave a complete partition now, or divide in advance?
Maybe Linux install will be better to split the drive?

crosstrainer 16:09 17 Mar 2009

Only if it's enabled in the BIOS, just ignore it when the installation gets to that point...You can't use RAID with one drive :))

Picklefactory 16:16 17 Mar 2009

Sorry just re-read your earlier post I was confusing myself. I'm not talking about RAID drivers, I'm sure I had to install SATA drivers for XP to detect my SATA HDD, otherwise it wouldn't detect it.

crosstrainer 16:23 17 Mar 2009

That can be the case with older boards. You will need to make a floppy for use during the xp installation.

The files required and the process are included on the motherboard's driver cd.

Picklefactory 16:36 17 Mar 2009

Hmm glad I asked, as what you said has just reminded me that the board I have is also quite new, and I only ever had Vista on it. I had XP on my old mobo, so maybe my newer one should be OK?
I have MSI MS-7346 board with Intel Core2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz
Maybe I should just give it a shot with XP disc and see how it goes, I have a PCLinuxOS live CD to fall back on if all goes pear shaped. At least I'll be able to get back here for someone to bail me out (Hopefully)

Picklefactory 16:40 17 Mar 2009

Oops
MSI P6N SLI V2

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?