Reformat XP using E-Drive

birdface 09:35 21 Aug 2009

Hi.I will need to reformat this computer shortly and my Cd drive does not work can i use my R/W drive instead. Can I change the E-Drive to D drive.And the D to E.

VoG II 09:52 21 Aug 2009
  birdface 09:59 21 Aug 2009

having Googled and finding out how to go about it I cannot get into disk Management by right clicking my Computer.manage.Disc Managment.MMC has detected an error shutdown and restart MMC.
Anyone got any ideas.

birdface 10:25 21 Aug 2009

Hi Vog thanks for your help.Having a few problems since my program remover removed more than the program intended.My own fault I should have backed the registry up first anyway.
I have another tower ready to install when Windows7 comes out but my daughter was wanting this old computer to do her Home University work on.
If reformating would it accept the disc placed on the E-Drive or would it have to be changed.
On XP Home and it says might need administrative rights but page will not open when clicking on Disc Management it just says may not be connected to the internet.

Strawballs 10:38 21 Aug 2009

If the machine is set to boot first from cd then it should check both drives put the windows disc in the one that works then reboot.

^wave^ 10:40 21 Aug 2009

i would disconect d drive then e would become d this may be the easiest way to move forward if the d drive is bad anyway

BRYNIT 10:51 21 Aug 2009

Remembering back to when I had more than one CD/DVD drive.

It does not matter what drive you use. If you are booting from the Windows disk. When the computer boots up it should search the CD/DVD drives for the Windows disc as long as the computer is set to boot from the CD/DVD drive. Just try booting from the Windows disk to try it.

You could always disconnect the faulty drive.

birdface 11:06 21 Aug 2009

Ok everyone thanks for the advice.Tried the Disc in the e-drive and it worked.So that solved that problem.next problem is it is a disc with 6 different connections.I always use it when I have to reformat and then put the proper keycode in.Would you be able to do a system repair with the this disc as it does not have SP3 on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone