Reformat an NTFS partition and re-install XP

bb2 12:05 03 Nov 2004

I have Windows XP Professional installed on my C: drive (an NTFS partition).

For various reasons I want to reformat the said drive and reinstall XP, but I can't find any instructions as to how to do this. My boot disk doesn't 'see' the NTFS partition, and my XP CD-ROM doesn't seem to give me the option to reformat the partition.

Help, please.

AndySD 12:19 03 Nov 2004

Boot with the XP CD and choose Repair to go into the Recovery Console.

At the command prompt use

format C:

Smegs 12:22 03 Nov 2004

click here Have a read here.

bb2 12:27 03 Nov 2004

I'd like to try this, but when I choose the repair option from the CD-ROM it asks me for the Administrator password, and I don't know what that was. I don't recall setting an Administrator password, and I've tried the ones I would have used to no avail.

Can I get round this? - I am the Administrator!

Smegs 12:33 03 Nov 2004

click here Keep an eye on this thread.

AndySD 12:37 03 Nov 2004
  ob1ie 13:24 03 Nov 2004

I have had a similiar problem before. To get round it I used the Windows 98 boot disk. It doesn't see NTFS, but it you enter FDISK at the command prompt you can use FDISK to delete the Non-Dos partition. Once deleted, exit FDISK and then restart using the XP CD. The CD will then ask you to create a new partition and format the hard drive as NTFS.

bb2 14:39 03 Nov 2004

Had a flash of inspiration and tried my own name for Administrator password - it worked!

Have now reformatted the C: partition from the command prompt by typing Format C: /FS:NTFS

Have reinstalled Windows XP and all is now well.

Thanks for all for their help.

Had a flash of inspiration and tried my own name for Administrator password - it worked!

Have now reformatted the C: partition from the command prompt by typing Format C: /FS:NTFS

joseph K 17:24 03 Nov 2004

Brill! Thanks I coiuld do with them. Good luck bbc2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?