Reformat HDD without win98 cd or floppy start up d

Katwezl 09:52 10 Sep 2004

Could anyone please tell me how I can reformat my hard drive . I don`t have the win98 cd or a floppy start-up disk. I want to install XP Pro.

Legolas 09:58 10 Sep 2004

You do not need to format to install XP it will install over the top of 98. But if you want to do a clean install put the XP disk in your cd-rom drive and start the installation and follow the instructions it will ask if you want to do an upgrade or a clean install choose the latter and continue to follow the instructions.

c_norris1989 09:58 10 Sep 2004

First it is important to remember that your version of Xp pro may not clean install, it might need to upgrade your existing operating system (98). So I'd do that. If you know that it will install without 98 then create a startup disk by opening control panel double clicking on add/remove programs and selecting the Create disk tab at the top of the box.

Jeffers22 09:58 10 Sep 2004

Boot using the WinXP CD and you will be able to fromat from there, then install. To ensure you can boot from the CD, rebbot your machine, keep pressing del until you go into the bios (setup).
Alter the boot priority list so the PC only boots from CD. exit bios and it will reboot from the CD.

Once you hace installed XP, make sure you go back into the bios and reset the boot order to include booting fron the hard drive.

Make sure you back up all your important data before formatting. It will be lost if you don't.

Confab 10:00 10 Sep 2004

Just one point - and I don't know for sure but does Katwezl need to have his/her drivers if he/she is to do a clean install?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?