reformat hard disk & reinstall windows - registry?

reburner57 07:02 27 Sep 2004

I have a 40gb & a 120gb hard disk with the 40gb divided into 3 partitions with XP SP2 on the smallest at 6gb.

My Pc has been like this for years and the C drive isn't really big enough. I want to back everything up, format the 40gb drive as one partition and reinstall XP. I believe I can use FDISK but can anyone list the steps for me to do all of the above.

Also what happens to the registry. As I will have programs sitting on the big drive which I will not touch do their registry entries get wiped and if so what are the consequences ??

smokingbeagle² 07:35 27 Sep 2004

Your registry will be wiped when you fdisk. You may have to reinstal the programs on the big disk. You should consider re-sizing the partition on your 40gb HDD.
click here
Link is for a source of Partition Magic. I got it of their eBay listing for £19.99 inc p&P. Read the reviews from a google search. I have found it an excellent tool. Await further comments from the forum members.
P.S I have no connection with the above company - I have recommended then previously because I found the service good.

Diodorus Siculus 07:47 27 Sep 2004

click here for a guide to fdisk

click here for a guide to backing up.

But if you boot with the XP disk you can partition / format etc as you want - thus removing unnecessary partitions. click here for a decent guide.

Programs installed to a different drive will no longer work - that is why I never advocate that people install programs other than to the system drive.

Be sure to save your data - esp. bookmarks, address book, autocorrect / custom dictionaries etc.

reburner57 07:48 27 Sep 2004

Thanks for that. I'd rather not shel out £20 if I can reformat without doing so.

I'm also not sure about the best way of backing up a) all my drivers b) my outlook folders & settings and c) my internet explorer settings

Diodorus Siculus 07:56 27 Sep 2004

outlook files are stored in a file with the extension .pst

IE - you can export bookmarks: file, import and export and follow the guide.

Drivers: my advice here is that it will be more useful to get the lastest from the manufacturers site.

Diodorus Siculus 07:57 27 Sep 2004

outlook files are stored in a file with the extension .pst

IE - you can export bookmarks: file, import and export and follow the guide.

Drivers: my advice here is that it will be more useful to get the lastest from the manufacturers site.

click here for a utility which will backup your drivers for you if you wish to go down that road.

reburner57 10:14 27 Sep 2004

Thanks for all the input.

Only thing I'm having trouble with is Outlook & IE settings. I use Blueyonder and would like to backup the settings for connecting (for all 4 user accounts I have set up on XP) and then reimport once i've reinstalled XP.

Does anyone know a simple way of doing this ????

Also a search of all my hard drives showed no *.pst files ????

Diodorus Siculus 10:25 27 Sep 2004

Is it Outlook or Outlook Express?

OE uses dbx files; Outlook uses pst files.

I don't know about the various options re. user accounts... I only occasionally use XP on my laptop and am not familiar with it.

reburner57 10:42 27 Sep 2004

OE so DBX and I've found them. Ta

pj123 15:13 27 Sep 2004

What have you got on the 120gb hard drive?

I think your best bet would be to fdisk, partition and format the 120gb drive. Install it as a slave. Now download xxclone from click here and copy your 40gb C: partition to the 120gb drive. Switch the 120gb to master and the 40gb to slave and then reboot. You should now be able to drag and drop all your other data/files from the 40gb to the 120gb. Once you have done that reformat the 40gb and use as storage.

reburner57 20:49 28 Sep 2004

Thanks for all the input. I managed to do it all Ok justing using the XP installation disk to reformat the 40gb drive.

I then installed XP and all seems fine. Just got to get SP2 on now and see if that is Ok.

One slight annoyance is that using XP to reformat resulted in windows residing on my 40gb drive and being labelled d: whilst my 120gb drive is labelled c:. I'd like them the other way around. Not a big deal but are they easily relabelled ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?