Reformat and Back-up. Restore Procedure

spuds 12:02 01 Mar 2006

What would you consider to be a reasonable time span, for a complete system re-format for Microsoft XP.

Also it is suggested that a daily back-up is highly recommended for general computer usage. Why have restore points, and when should a restore point be activated, weekly, monthly etc.

spuds 18:38 01 Mar 2006

???

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:44 01 Mar 2006

Non

Proper care (clean and defrag ) and use of antimalware, antivirus means I should never have to reformat and reinstall my operating system.

Never need it on my old sytem running for 6 years.

However I have now refomatted that system and use as back up for all my data.

€dstowe 18:52 01 Mar 2006

A well maintained computer shouldn't need need a system reformat at any time. Problem is that many let their machines be filled with loads of junk files and general rubbish that they wish later they hadn't downloaded - it is they who wish to reformat.

I'm careful what I allow into my computers both work and home and before I download any software, I make a full system backup just in case that, if I don't wish the software to be present any longer, I am safe in the knowledge that I can wholly remove it. This is different to a system restore in which you remove what Windows considers is the program when, in reality, it may leave a lot of code behind - code which can very well interfere with things in the future, especially as the complete program is not retained.

It also has to be considered that System Restore is not completely reliable such that it frequently fails to do as it is supposed to and does not return the computer to a previous state.

How often you prepare a backup depends entirely on how valuable or important you consider your data to be. On my work machines there is a daily file backup and a weekly full system backup. On my home machines where there isn't anything of much value neither is there much change in the files or programs on there, a weekly backup seems adequate.

Koochy 18:53 01 Mar 2006

Time span depends on your computer what size hard drive etc.

I Have an 80GB hard drive and for a full format this takes about ½ hour to 40 minutes but a quick format about 10 minutes then you have to install XP which is about another 40 to 45 minutes all in all i would say about 1½ - 2 hours for a full format and install windows then all your other software on top of that.

spuds 23:46 01 Mar 2006

Thanks everyone for the response so far.

There was a reason that I asked the above questions. I have had a number of problems with my computer of late,and talking to an 'expert', a number of points came to light, and I was wondering what the general feelings were, within the forum.

One of his suggestions, is that he would recommend a complete re-format every twelve months.

I will tick this now, but feel free to add further.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone