Refilling laser toner.

gengiscant 09:05 23 Jun 2010

It recently became necessary to buy a toner refill and it occurred to me that I was left with one hell of a chunk of plastic etc to chuck in the bin.
So I wondered if it were possible to refill a laser tone cartridge and after a bit of research discovered that it is indeed possible and found this click here
which will do the job with my printer.
My questions are, is it worth it? is it effective,is it an easy enough procedure? is it a false ecconomy, as the printer is purely monochrome,perfect printing is not a priority, I use it mainly for letters, walkthroughs, articles and the like.

amonra 10:05 23 Jun 2010

I have used that firm myself and refilled laser printers OK. Some makes are extremely easy to do, just remove a plastic "cap" and gently pour in the toner, others need a bit of surgery, and some makes need to be reset. The main point I would make is, do it out in the open air just in case of spillage, and whatever you do, dont try and vacuum up the dust, it's too fine ! and anyway it's not user friendly healthwise.

wiz-king 12:31 23 Jun 2010

Is it worth it? Yes, a couple of times.
It can be messy, as amonra said do it out in the garden but not on a windy day! Wear your best Marigolds if the toner people do not supply a pair of disposable gloves.

kjrider 00:11 24 Jun 2010

Yes - its fine and its cost effective. I got some HP colour toners, for £5 each, and used them to refill my Xerox colour laser and it all works fine. Likewise my Samsung mono laser, which I re-cycled some carts that were going to the dump.

KJR

gengiscant 09:58 24 Jun 2010

Cheers guys, I think thats answered my questions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache