Refilling Cartrdiges

Tricky 3003 00:00 22 Oct 2006

Is refilling cartridges difficult?

Can anyone recommend a good kit for my canon ip4200 printer...

p.s compatibles are no good for it, hence me looking for other options

sean-278262 00:04 22 Oct 2006

Difficult - no
messy - often
worth it - not in my experience

Cant help with the others.

robgf 01:05 22 Oct 2006

Hi,
refilling cartridges isn't particularly difficult, if you can wire a plug, you can refill a cartridge.
But it can be messy, so put down plenty of newspaper and try not to get it on your hands.
The results vary, if you want top quality prints you will be disappointed, but if you aren't too fussy, refilling can be successful.

This pdf file shows how to refill your cartridges:
click here

Make sure you buy a good quality refill kit, as the ink is definitely better, cheap ink tends to look faded (I speak from experience)
There are specialized refill kits, but these tend to be rather expensive, IMOP:
click here

I use Choice Stationary kits:
click here
I have found refilling pretty successful, but my Canon is a S200, considerably lower tech than your printer, with no chips etc, to worry about.

Note: Dont bother trying to refill cartridges that have dried out. The most important thing is to refill either as soon as they run out (and I mean immediately!), or before they run out.

Rob. :)

MIke 01:40 22 Oct 2006

Not difficult but ip4200 uses chipped cartridges so even if you refill printer will probably see the cartridge as empty. I once had an Epson that used chipped cartridges which needed to be be reset for printer to recognise them as full.

Stuartli 09:50 22 Oct 2006

When I use to refill my previous Canon BJC 600e's four cartridges I usually wore either the plastic gloves supplied by petrol stations for filling up diesel models or a pair of surgeon's gloves (advantage of knowing people who worked in the NHS!)

It's very easy to get refill inks on your hands and/or clothes and, believe me, the stains hang around for some time.

However I would never think of trying to refill my current Epson R300 cartridges, largely due to the complications involved plus the fact I get a full set of six replacement Sumvision branded cartridges from click here for around £4 a set...:-)

I buy three or four sets at a time to make the most of the delivery charge.

Sparkly 09:54 22 Oct 2006

I have used thes befor and find the refills easy.click here

postie24 10:28 22 Oct 2006

Great site that stuartli recommended for the epsom ink.Will buy from there in future.

Chris the Ancient 11:20 22 Oct 2006

And at those prices, I shall try them and see what they're like.

BTW, I normally use Choice Stationery, but we'll see what these are like.

Tricky 3003 15:04 24 Oct 2006

How do you reset the printer then? after refilling to show ink levels as full?

terryf 15:07 24 Oct 2006

I have an ip4200 and as far as I was aware, because the cartridges are chipped, they can't be reset unless some-one can tell me differently?

Stuartli 17:07 24 Oct 2006

Choice Stationary is currently selling off its Epson compatibles.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?