Redundant Laptop

morddwyd 17:04 14 Jan 2010

Is there a market for redundant laptops? I don't mean for selling, but charities etc.

Most of our local charities won't touch electrical stuff.

I have an HP Pavilion dv5000 and although I have taken the hard drive out it seems a pity to junk it.

User-1229748 17:17 14 Jan 2010

found this that may be of use click here

Technotiger 20:05 14 Jan 2010

There are at least four local charities in my area, all of whom do take electrical items for re-sale. Help the Aged, Salvation Army, The Ark and a Cat Charity shop.

morddwyd 10:54 15 Jan 2010

Unfortunately nothing local to me.

The nearest charity accepting electricals is 100 mile round trip away.

Looks like the skip and reduce my council tax!

Chris the Ancient 11:29 15 Jan 2010

Do you have a local paper? Or a 'free ads' paper.

Put it in there on a 'buyer collects' basis and that will save you petrol and the council having to dispose of it. Make a note of the fact that there is no hard drive and say how much a replacement is through somewhere like ebay and let the potential new owner sort it.

CtA

Confab 12:36 15 Jan 2010

E-bay as spares – You might be surprised what you get for it and you could always give the money to charity if you want.

click here

Simsy 20:36 15 Jan 2010

Freecycle, (now known in my area at least as Freegle),which is a local based way of donating/receiving goods that are no longer wanted.

The main objective is to stop items ending up as landfill.

Google for it... there's bound to be a goup local to you.

Since I found it, a while ago, I've rarely used eBay... I give stuff away, and get stuff for free.

It may seem slightly "hippy", because, I guess, it is. But it works!

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

GaT7 20:44 15 Jan 2010

I would go down the FreeCycle avenue too, for the least hassle. Except some people don't keep very well to their agreed pick-up days/time! G

morddwyd 06:49 16 Jan 2010

I'll go along with that.

One of the reasons I don't use Freecycle any more, including this time, is the frequent failure to collect.

I even waited up past 11.00pm for one guy who never showed or e-mailed.

palinka 17:39 16 Jan 2010

I use Freeegle /freecycle, too. Never had a problem with "no-shows".
Whether charity shops will take electrical goods depends on whether they have a qualified electrician ( paid or unpaid) on hand who will check over all electrical goods that they receive.
I work in a Save the Children shop - we don't take anything electrical, because we don't have an electrician; nor does a Scope shop nearby; but an Age Concern does -or rather, it did until they lost their electrician.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache