Redundant files

jessej 08:34 25 Apr 2003

Hi again. I have read about numerous files that can be deleted during a spring clean but can't find the list. To save me wading through stacks of magazines, can anybody help please. The files I am on about have the extensions: *.tmp and *.chk, but they are the only two I can remember though I have an idea that *.bac (or *.bak) are included. Hope somebody can help, it will, as always, be very much appreciated.
Bye for now, JesseJ

Pesala 08:43 25 Apr 2003

Programs, System Tools, Disk Cleanup will delete temporary internet files, and TMP files.

Also have a look on the Add/Remove programs list to see what you have installed in the past, but never use.

The next candidate is the Fonts Folder. If there are more than 500 it is worth doing some weeding.

Pesala 08:43 25 Apr 2003

Programs, System Tools, Disk Cleanup will delete temporary internet files, and TMP files.

Also have a look on the Add/Remove programs list to see what you have installed in the past, but never use.

The next candidate is the Fonts Folder. If there are more than 500 it is worth doing some weeding.

Pesala 08:45 25 Apr 2003

Finally defragment your drive with Diskeeper Lite (10,005 K) click here Defragmentation program that will run in the background, and completes the task more quickly.

jessej 15:38 25 Apr 2003

Many thanks for your reply Pesala though not quite what I meant, I knew about that way. I read somewhere in a magazine, probably PC Advisor but maybe another, of files with various extensions that don't get wiped off by this method, but I cannot recall the extensions though I made a note of them for future reference. Trouble is my wife has been tidying up, you can guess the rest. I know it included *.chk and *.tmp, and I think it included *.bac (or *.bak). If I remember correctly, there were 4 or 5 of them and the recommendation was to enter them in search, then delete what came up. Thanks for the defrag tool, that is now downloaded and installed. JesseJ

vinnyT 15:44 25 Apr 2003

Have a look here click here ,the link takes you to the 'What to Throw Away' page, but you may find the rest of the site useful as well. Hope this helps.

hoverman 15:52 25 Apr 2003

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that only Diskeeper 7 - the one you pay for - is able to run in the background.

hoverman 15:58 25 Apr 2003

Just had a look via Google for Diskeeper Lite and it is manual only.

jessej 16:10 25 Apr 2003

Thank you very much vinney, exactly what I was looking for and a bit more besides. Thanks again, this time I've printed it and it will be filed away properly before the missus tidies up. JesseJ

Andsome 16:17 25 Apr 2003

I run Diskeeper Lite, but unfortunately I don't think that it is still available. You can as far as I am aware only obtain the paid for version now.

Belatucadrus 16:33 25 Apr 2003

click here is a direct link to the diskeeper lite download, there is no reference to it on the website, but it's still available at the moment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone