Reducing the storage size of photos

RWBCAM 21:46 27 Sep 2006

I have a digital photo in a file and it's file size is over 1MB. My friend asked me to email the photo to him but to reduce it to a smaller one with a size of about 100K, so that it doesn't take him long to download it on dial-up email. Is there an easy way of doing this please?

alB 21:53 27 Sep 2006

if You're using XP right click the picture and choose send to, then mail recipient and let windows resize it for you ...alB

Field Division 23:33 27 Sep 2006

You could.. if you have Adobe distiller. shrink it that way,what you do is print while photo is open and select distiller which doesnt print it using a printer but shrinks it into a reasonably size..

Kate B 23:57 27 Sep 2006

There's a Windows powertoy to resize pictures with a right-click

click here

Diemmess 10:40 28 Sep 2006

How about Picasa2?
Have just used it this morning, and found a hefty update which appears to have a large increase in web facilities and the ability to do exactly what you want in > tools > email.

Picasa is amazing, well worth having a dabble.

Strawballs 10:47 28 Sep 2006

If it is saved in bitmap format right click it > save as > then on the bottom dropdown choose jpeg and save it that should compress it.

RWBCAM 11:12 29 Sep 2006

Thank you all for your kindness in taking time out to give me your answers. I thought it might be helpful to be more specific:
- I want to shrink a jpeg in size from 1.2 MB to give a smaller picture (maybe 100 to 300K) to send to a friend as an attachment or maybe use it on eBay to sell it
- I have Win 2000 (not XP, I'm afraid)

(Dear Diemmess
Is Picasa2 fre software or would I have to buy it?)

Cheers

Diemmess 12:38 29 Sep 2006

Free
click here
Try that link

Wak 13:08 29 Sep 2006

Have you tried reducing the size of the photo to 6" x 4" and the resolution to 100 dpi which is perfectly adequate for viewing on a screen??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?