reducing size of photos

dsm 00:06 12 Jan 2008

How can I reduce the size of photos so that I can save space when saving these to disk? Some of my photo folders are 60 mb whilst others are as low as 220 kb.

Any help would be appreciated.

Blackhat 00:44 12 Jan 2008

A lot of photo imaging software allows you to re-size photo files. I use Picasa2 which lets you export images back to a folder and choose the file size.

No doudt there are many other programs but that one works for me and its free.

desperate1950 01:09 12 Jan 2008

shrink pic is a free program just type "shrink Pic" into your browser and download its free and works in the background i have been using it for 18month no problem good luck

ened 06:55 12 Jan 2008

You must remember that in reducing them you may lose some of the quality.

I know he is possibly not using it correctly but whenever my Father sends me a picture using picasa it is usually smaller than a thumbnail.

feb 08:11 12 Jan 2008

At 60Mb, it sounds like they are in a RAW format, are these pictures you have taken yourself?
If so your camera should include software to convert these!
If not have a look here click here=
Saving as a JPEG will generally reduce a photo to around 5Mb

eedcam 09:32 12 Jan 2008

The folder is 60Mb. or the individual photo is 60Mb.If the folder thats nothing about 20 shots in jpeg best quality from a 5 Mega cam would be around 60Mb.

johnnyrocker 09:56 12 Jan 2008

click here

johnny.

hssutton 10:29 12 Jan 2008

Download Photofiltre click here (freeware).

Open a photo then go to "Save As". Rename photo, click save, A box will now open containing a sliding scale. Adjust sliding scale to reduce file size and click OK. Simple as that, but of course, as already mentioned the will lower the quality of your image.

Photofiltre is one of the easiest and best photo editors available

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone