reduced size screen display

notrom 11:52 20 May 2005

My computer has suddenly started opening in what appears to be different display properties. There is a half inch black border around the desk top (and any opened programmes). Font sizes on anything are oversized and colour resolution is poor; desk-top icons seem oversized, with the result there’s no longer room for them all. Opening Display Properties in Settings tells me that screen area is set for 640 x 480 pixels (the smallest) and colours is set for 256 colours; I am displaying large fonts (125% normal size). Unfortunately, because of the reduced screen size, there is not room for the buttons at the bottom of Display Properties, so although I can alter the settings, I can’t click on the OK button to accept the changes. This is driving me mad -can anyone help, please?

Border Collie 12:03 20 May 2005

You can move the display setting window up by pointing to the blue bar at the top and dargging up slightly.

Try 800 x 600 setting and Apply.

Border Collie 12:03 20 May 2005

You can move the display setting window up by pointing to the blue bar at the top and dargging up slightly.

Try 800 x 600 setting and Apply.

notrom 13:28 20 May 2005

border collie, thanks but have tried that - can't drag it up suffiently!

DieSse 14:09 20 May 2005

Just press the enter key - this should activate the changes

DieSse 14:30 20 May 2005

Or - if it doesn't - hit the tab key to change the focus to the OK key (I know you can't see the OK key - so you may have to experiment with how many times you hit the tab key) - then hit Enter.

notrom 14:49 20 May 2005

DieSse - genius! problem sorted and my grateful thanks. Cheers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?