Redirects

User-CB94CED6-F3AA-42E7-8A286564F5DCBC14 20:16 08 Nov 2007

I have a host with a minimal control panel over the DN. I want to have the website on another server but leave email, domain, etc. there.

They (host support) have suggested I get another DN (example here, I have myname.org> they suggest having the new site myname.org.uk>) and doing a redirect.

They say this will mean that when the browser requests the .org it will change on the fly to .org.uk and go to the new site. This will have virtually no delay and have no "please wait while we divert you" I.E. seamless. If the .org.uk is requested then goes straight through.

Is this true? AND are there any snags with this?

What sort of redirect is this as I here there are several methods?

Thanks for your time.

Forum Editor 19:38 10 Nov 2007

and just move your domain name to a host that provides you with the control panel facilities you want?

A redirect is easy enough to set up, and works perfectly, but why go to all the bother of registering a new name if you don't have to?

Patr100 20:06 10 Nov 2007

It all depends what your current control panel actually offers :

Framed Web Forwarding

Someone types in w w w. s i t e 1. com and they will be redirected to click here. s i i t e 2 .org.uk/

Their browser window will continue to display click here. s i t e 1..com and not display the actual target address

Non-Framed Web Forwarding

Someone types in w w w. s i t e 1. com and they will be redirected to
click here. s i t e 2 .org.uk/

BUT Their browser address bar will change to display click here. s i t e 2.org.uk

Sounds like you require non framed web forwarding

-

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?