Redirected browsing

Peter Lanky 16:43 19 Dec 2009

Quite frequently in the past, when clicking to move to a new web page within a domain, I have seen messages similar to this "Please wait - if you are not redirected immediately please click on the link below".

Normally, I am redirected within a couple of seconds so very rarely have to click the link. For the last few days however, I have not been redirected immediately, and have had to click the link. These are proper websites such as Tesco, or my online chess website, so not these dodgy sites that permanently redirect you round in circles.

I don't really understand the mechanics of redirecting, so wondered if there could be a setting on my browser (Firefox) that may have changed with an update, or whether it is the sites themselves that carry out these actions, and it is merely coincidence that this has been happening so often.

Peter Lanky 11:01 20 Dec 2009

bump....surely somebody has a clue about this.

birdface 11:19 20 Dec 2009

maybe give Malwarebytes free a run and see if there is any problems.
Do you have Ad-Blocker plus downloaded if not worth trying it.
Maybe try a defrag or running C Cleaner.

Peter Lanky 14:26 20 Dec 2009

No luck with any of this. I'm wondering if updating from Firefox 3.5.5 to 3.5.6 has caused the problem, which incidentally , does not happen with Internet Explorer.

birdface 15:05 20 Dec 2009

It may have changed some of your setting in Firefox.I don't use it anymore so cant really help.
Could it be anything to do with your Cookie settings in Firefox.
Or maybe your flash player needing updated.Maybe another add-on that you have downloaded recently.

Peter Lanky 15:52 20 Dec 2009

No new downloads added, only the update. I've tried running Firefox in safe mode, and the problem doesn't occur. Unfortunately I don't know how to interpret that.

Peter Lanky 18:37 20 Dec 2009

I have the answer from another forum.

I have a Firefox extension called New Tab King, and I recall it had an update earlier in the week. I've unistalled the extension and the problem has resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?