Redirect domain name - oneandone

georgemac 18:46 05 Feb 2004

I have my website for our local broadband campaign built and stored on my free webspace provided by my ISP, NTL, it's working fine.

I have registered a domain name with one and one, and redirected it to the folder (http server, not the ftp server) on my ntl site. This folder at the moment contains 5 *.htm web pages.

One to one help says not to redirect to a file but to a folder. Nothing appears on the screen, how does the browser know which of the htm files to open, or should there only be one .htm file in the folder, and is so must it be called any specific name? I think presently, it is not opening any of the files.

I assume I am correct in redirecting to the http server?

I have the website reconstructed with 1 htm file in a folder with the other 4 files in a sub folder, which I can put on the server quite quickly.

Appreciate any help as I'd like to get it up and running on the new domain name.

georgemac 18:54 05 Feb 2004

have tried with only the 1 .htm file in the redirect folder, still no joy. Oneandone say it takes one hour for the redirect to work, it's been one and a half hours. click here is the website, maybe I need to wait longer or rename the opening page?

Taran 19:07 05 Feb 2004

Rename the opening page.

A server will try to locate one of several default filenames to load if a web folder is requested. Typically these will be index.htm, index.html, default.asp, index.php and so on. The files and their names are listed in one of the configuarion files on the web server which you will not have access to.

If you are asking a web folder to open and the web server cannot find a default document name from one in its list of acceptable names, you're snookered.

Rename the opening page of your redirected site to index.htm or index.html or put a static page on your existing site in place of the redirect page. Put a button or hyperlink on it that targets the full web and file names of the page you want to redirect visitors to, with a brief text description of what they will find if they click your button.

Redirect scripts can get your page[s] bounced by search engines since most of the engines view anything that redirects in under a certain time as suspsect, so a direct link or button rather than a redirect script would work well in more than one respect.

spikeychris 19:24 05 Feb 2004

I've done the exact same. Under domain configuration type click here and click change. It can take 24 hours to work, mine I think took longer.

spikeychris 19:26 05 Feb 2004

Mmmm yours would be http:// homepage .ntlworld. com/ george.mckenzie

georgemac 19:31 05 Feb 2004

OK thanks I will try this, I have 2 sites on there, so will redirect into the folder and rename my opening page to index. I will first make sure all the "home" hyperlinks are changed and just upload the whole site again, as it is quite small.

I did copy a file called index.htm in there to try this, but again got nothing, so it maybe does take some time, I'll just have to be patient.

Thanks, will let you know the outcome.

georgemac 19:42 05 Feb 2004

Ok the website is now click here and the domain is click here and the redirect is to click here and when I pasted this link into the browser window it opened the index page OK, so I guess I just have to wait for the redirect now. Once I see it working I will tick the thread, thanks again guys, you are great.

caast©? 22:06 05 Feb 2004

I seem to remember having a similar problem some couple of years ago, and the problem with oneandone who host my site.

If I remember correctly it was just a case of renaming the index page, suffix to html.

dont know if this helps. M

barryoneoff.co.uk 02:49 06 Feb 2004

If you have a domain with 1&1, why not just upload the site to that domain, instead of diverting it?

Sorry if I missed the point (tired), but this seems to be the easiest method to me.

gWhiz 04:32 06 Feb 2004

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="keywords" content="Keywords here, seperated by comma's">
<meta http-equiv="description" content="Site description here">

<meta name="description" content="Site description here">
<meta name="keywords" content="Keywords here, seperated by comma's">

<title>"Title Here"</title>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" TYPE="text/javascript">
<!--
self.location.href = "click here";
-->
</SCRIPT>

</head>

<body>

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%">
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="1%">
<p> </p>
</td>
<td valign="top" width="24">
</td>
<td valign="top">
<p><font size="6">The Title Website has moved.</font></p>
<p> </p>
<p><font size="4">Click here if not automatically re-directed to the new site in 15 seconds</font></p>
<p><a href="click here"><font size="6">click here;/font></a></p>

</td>
</tr>
</table>

</body>

</html>

georgemac 07:39 06 Feb 2004

thanks it was just a case of waiting for the redirect by one and one after changing the name of the first page to index.htm

barryoneoff - I did not host it on oneandone as you have to pay for this, and I have free webspace provided by my ISP, this was the most cost effective way to host the site. £4.68 for 2 years for the domain name.

Thanks all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?