Redirect connections to external website to local version

NigelHiggs 22:23 27 Mar 2014

I need to be able to redirect outgoing internet connections to a specific website from my LAN to a local version of the website.

Essentially I want people that are using our LAN who then visit our external web site to actually be redirected to a local version of the site as we want to display info on it that is unavailable from outside.

As this is to redirect visitors I can not modify their devices and so can't do anything like change a host file.

I am new to networking and getting a little confused as everything I read seems to expect me to know all the terminology already.

The equipment I have available is an EE Brightbox Router and a Windows PC. These belong to my friends business and they do not want me installing different firmware on the router or running a different OS on the PC.

I have heard mention of an Outgoing NAT and IPTables, but not really sure if it is what I want and have no idea how to set it up. It doesn't look like the router has settings for these things.

I have also been told I could forward all internet traffic to the PC and then get some software to do the redirects from there. Again I have no idea where to even start with this.

Any suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?