red cross instead of pictures

sdmck 19:45 06 May 2010

I must have changed a setting on my netbook as on my e-mails and webpages I have a red cross instead of a picture.Even if I right click on the red cross and select "show picture" the picture still does not come in.

Anyone assist please ?

tullie 20:01 06 May 2010

I had this problem ages ago,cant remember how i fixed it.Might have been a codec,others will enlighten im sure.

Sea Urchin 21:43 06 May 2010

In Internet Explorer try going to Tools - Internet Options - Advanced tab - scroll down to Multimedia - make sure there is a tick against Show Pictures, and not a tick against Show Image Download Placeholders. Click Apply and OK.

sdmck 22:00 06 May 2010

Thanks sea urchin but just checked and these settings were already ok.

Any more ideas ? Think I may do a system restore but not sure if this will upset the dongle I recently installed for internet whilst away from home.

T0SH 22:34 06 May 2010

If you can remember when it was last working OK use windows system restore back to a date just before it stopped

Cheers HC

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:35 06 May 2010
  sdmck 23:44 06 May 2010

Thanks all for your help.I did a System Restore and that fixed the problem. May have been something to do with installing a dongle a couple of weeks ago but all is well now.

Thanks again.

ella33 10:46 07 May 2010

To pick up on this thread, I find I get this problem, red cross occasionally but other pictures show just fine. Sometimes it is helpfful to send the picture to googlemail but not always. Why might this only happen sometimes? (I too use a dongle for internet)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017