Recycle Bin problem

alB 20:22 16 Apr 2004

I've noticed over the last couple of days that any Items that I delete do not appear in the Recycle bin even though the prompt asks if I want to remove to the Bin, I don't recall altering any settings so I'm a bit mystified by it. Any ideas please...alB

Robotic_Rob 20:27 16 Apr 2004

Your recyle bin might be full for the drive your trying to delete from.

alB 21:50 16 Apr 2004

Thanks for the reply, I've checked the settings in the Recycle Bin properties and the amount of free space seems sufficient (10% of 20Gb) for my C drive, also the "do not move files to the recycle bin, delete file immediately" box is unchecked...alB

temp003 04:45 17 Apr 2004

Try this first. click here Scroll down to line 64, right hand column. Download the registry fix there. Right click the downloaded .reg file and select Merge.

Restart computer. Create a new empty folder. Delete it and see if it appears in Recycle Bin.

What OS do you use?

temp003 04:46 17 Apr 2004

The link above is for XP.

alB 21:48 18 Apr 2004

Sorry for the delay responding (weekend away), I'm using 98se, I do have back up copies of my registry from some time ago so I'm going to try restoring one of them and see what happens (after backing up first), let you know later what happens, thanks for the idea...alB

temp003 02:07 19 Apr 2004

Restoring an earlier registry can have its own problem if it's not "in sync" with the rest of your system. You can still try it.

For 98, have a look at this article.

click here

Parts of the article are not very well written, but the idea is to delete certain damaged file(s) and let Windows re-create them on restart. To do that, either use an MSDOS command prompt, or enable Show All Files in View, Options.

If you don't need to recover the contents of the existing Recycle Bin, my own suggestion is to delete the C:\Recycled folder altogether (you will lose all your deleted files).

Then restart. A new Recycled folder will be re-created next time you delete something. See if it works.

alB 19:16 19 Apr 2004

You're a Star!! Took your advice and removed the hidden recycled folder to my documents, created an empty folder on the desktop and then deleted it and as you said, Windows did indeed re-create the recycled folder and now the Recycle Bin is back working correctly, Ive got rid of the original recycled folder as non of the stuff was any good anyway, I've also made an up to date back up of my settings (just in case). Many thanks for your help...alB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?