Recycle bin-missing files

globus 10:01 11 Feb 2005

Hi guys,

My OS:windows XP professional

Last night I put some files there and this morning... no files? Where are they? Any ideas...?

cheers in advance.

Globus

chub_tor 10:05 11 Feb 2005

1. Did you hold down the shift key when you put them in the bin? If so you permanently deleted them?
2. Did you drag and drop them or use the delete key option? If the former did you accidentally drop them somewhere else?
3. If you know the file names try searching for them.

globus 10:14 11 Feb 2005

I used the delete key.
Isn't it possible to configure windows xp that

globus

mbp 10:32 11 Feb 2005

A good point! In all my years I have always used the Edit button to select or delete anything. I have never used the "del" button. I would love to hear some views on what this button does or does not do aside from being used in conjunction with ctrl+alt+del tor the Task Manager.

ACOLYTE 10:48 11 Feb 2005

I have used the delete key the red X on top of the page right clicked delede,and they all worked
but they usually ,for me anyway stay in the Recyle Bin till i empty it,never had and just dissaper,are you useing some form of disk cleaning app that cleans up on shut down?

FelixTCat 11:40 11 Feb 2005

Right-click on the recycle bin and open Properties. There is a box "Do not move files..." Make sure that it is not ticked.

Also, check the size allocated to the recycle bin. If the files were bigger than the size allocated, they will be completely deleted straight away.

gudgulf 14:02 11 Feb 2005

If you right click the recycle bin icon on the desktop do you get the option to empty it?.Sometimes Windows for whatever reason stops displaying all the files you put in there.The answer is to delete a file then empty the recycle bin which will clear it.
This has happened to me...no files visible so add one you can see,empty recycle bin and it asks "do you want to delete these 10 files"--you can only see the new one you just put in.
This is only after making the checks that people have posted above.One other thing is that many web trail cleaners such as Ccleaner will empty the recycle bin.So if you use one of those check its settings.

There are some threads on this forum click here for example.

And click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?