Recycle Bin

TonyV 16:10 29 Dec 2009

In XP SP3, I have the Recycle bin in the normal bottom RHS of my desktop. But, I have also a separate HDD that I removed from an old machine and use it as the storage for all Documents etc.

When I come to delete documents from that "new" drive, they do not go into the Recycle Bin. Those that are deleted from my C: Drive do go in to it.

I have read somewhere that each hdd has its own Recycle bin. How do I do this or how do I make sure that the existing Recycle Bin accepts the files deleted from the F: drive?

I have sorted the Properties out out so that they should go in to the Recycle Bin, and the message comes up which asks the question when I delete something, but they are not in the Bin if they are from the F: Drive.

Thanks

TonyV

Batch 16:24 29 Dec 2009

Each drive has its own "Recycler" folder that deleted items are moved into when you deleted them (all that happens in practice is that the indexing of deleted items is moved to the Recycler folder for whatever drive the deleted item was on in the first place.

The Recycle Bin provides a single system wide view over all of the items in all of the actual the Recycler folders.

Batch 16:27 29 Dec 2009

If you click on the Recycle Bin properties you should be able to configure your choice of either a single global configuration (to be used for all drives) or specify individual configurations for each drive.

TonyV 17:59 29 Dec 2009

As I said earlier, I have configured it for all discs. i.i. Global.

Cheers

TonyV

TonyV 18:01 29 Dec 2009

Where do I find the Recycler file for the extra drive? Or for that matter, any Recycler folder!

TonyV

TonyV 20:13 29 Dec 2009

I found the Recycler folder and renamed it then restarted the machine, it created a new Recycler folder on both drives, C and F. But it still will not put anything in to either of them that has been deleted from the F drive. The one in the F drive will have stuff in it from the C drive!!

Any one any other ideas as to where I go from here?

Thanks

TonyV

Batch 08:59 30 Dec 2009

See click here

This covers some of theground that you've already done. But note that if you delete the Recycler folders you are best not recreating them yourself - just let Windows sort it out.

If you decide to go down the registry fix route, make sure you make a System Restore point (or back-up with something like Acronis True Image) first, just in case if screws up.

TonyV 13:59 30 Dec 2009

Many thanks for that. As you say, I have already been through the hoops mentioned on your link except for the last element regarding the removal of the Recycled/r Directory.

So, having gone as far as I could, I followed the instructions and did the necessary with both C and F drive. It now seems to have got the Recycle Bin functioning as it should. I did a check with two files from C and two files from F and they all appear in the Recycle Bin.

Thank you very much for your patience and getting the result!

Cheers and Have a Great New Year!

TonyV

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?