Recurring blue screen of death issues

davepatrickl 19:22 07 Mar 2011

Hi,

I posted previously that I was having BSOD issues and followed the various advice provided but have still not managed to fix this so I just ignored it for the last few months.

My pc crashes now and then, nothing to prevent me using it, but enough to be very annoying (1 - 5 times a week roughly). It blue screens and doesn't do anything until I turn it off. It can happen at any time, it has blue screened when I've had no programs running and been fine when running lots.

There also seems to be many different bug check codes (viewing these through BlueScreenView app) which are causing this issue and the message is usually not helpful (ie, doesn't point out where it came from). The most recent was 0x10000007e which was caused by the driver nvlddmkm.sys and the previous was 0x00000001a caused by ntoskrnl.exe.

So far, I have run a number of different scans on the hard drive including chkdsk and sfc/scannow, with no issues found. I have also used registry cleaners and downloaded and applied some specific hotfixes for the error codes. I have updated the graphics card drivers and any other drivers I can. I tried to update the BIOS but have not been able to find it an update anywhere. I have restored my system to previous backup points but no difference.

I'm not quite sure what else to try, but the system is three years old and was hoping to hold off an upgrade for at least another six months so would be keen to fix this. I have everything backed up as well on an external hard drive. I would appreciate any comments / tips you may have.

My specs are as follows:
Motherboard: XFX nForce 650-IUl9
Processor: Intel Core2 Quad 6600 2.4Ghz LGA775 Processor
Graphics: 640MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS
RAM: 2 * 2048Mb (2X1024Mb) Dual Channel DDR2 667Mhz Memory

Thanks
Dave

birdface 21:06 07 Mar 2011

If my memory serves me right this problem started last summer and a bit surprised that you have not managed to fix it yet.
I don't suppose that you could find your last post just to see what you tried.
If I remember correctly you tried most things without 100% success.
lets hope you have better luck this time.

davepatrickl 21:50 07 Mar 2011

Cheers mate. I did have an issue last summer but that was with the pc not turning on and I followed advice and installed a new PSU...worked a treat.

I originally posted on the blue screen issue in November (click here) and followed the advice given but to no avail. I haven't used it much over the last few months but am starting to need it a bit more now hence the issues kicking up again.

MAT ALAN 21:50 07 Mar 2011

click here

The link may help

click here

some things to work on if you haven't already tried them...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:57 07 Mar 2011

both error codes related to drivers

although may be worth tying to ru on one memory module at a time to see if that eliminates problem.

or run memtest click here

davepatrickl 18:28 08 Mar 2011

Thanks for your tips. Must now go and find a blank cd from somewhere to run Memtest...didn't think I would need one of those again. Will then try with just one memory module

I used your NVIDIA driver fix as well Mat Alan. However, as it only crashes a few times a week and for no apparent reason, will just have to wait a week to see if it has worked.

Thanks all

woodchip 18:42 08 Mar 2011

You may have a faulty Graphics card, do you have a old one you can stick in to try it?

skeletal 11:46 09 Mar 2011

I have used an earlier version of “WhoCrashed” that helps to find things that cause BSODs:

click here

I’ve not tried this more recent version, but it may be worth a look (sorry if you’ve already looked at this, I’ve not read all posts in your threads!).

Skeletal

davepatrickl 22:59 10 Mar 2011

Great tip skeletal. I tried WhoCrashed and one of the errors thrown up was linked to the Belkin USB adapter I have. I have updated the driver and it hasn't crashed since...if I get a full week without a crash then I reckon its problem solved and you've saved me from buying a new pc. Thanks!

davepatrickl 22:59 10 Mar 2011

Great tip skeletal. I tried WhoCrashed and one of the errors thrown up was linked to the Belkin USB adapter I have. I have updated the driver and it hasn't crashed since...if I get a full week without a crash then I reckon its problem solved and you've saved me from buying a new pc. Thanks!

skeletal 09:19 11 Mar 2011

That’s good news! I hope it has sorted it for you...fingers crossed over the next few days.

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?