Rectangular blocks

Doug29 01:09 26 Dec 2007

My display curretly has rectangular blocks of either green or purple lines covering it. They are roughly in a ratio of one block of lines to three clear(ish). I have tried it with a different monitor and the problem is still there. Am I right in assuming it is my graphics card (ALL-IN-WONDER 9800) and not the motherboard?

If so could anybody recommend another similar tv/graphics card bearing in mind the PC is about 5 years old and good enough for my use (no gaming).

Processor - 2.07 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
Motherboard - ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7N8X-E REV

Thanks

mrwoowoo 01:57 26 Dec 2007

could be just a corrupt driver.
Have you tried installing a new ati driver.
click here

Doug29 01:12 28 Dec 2007

Thanks for your reply mrwoowoo.

Tried updating the drivers with no success.

How do I know if a new graphics is compatible with my motherboard? I would like one that has a TV tuner on it. Could anybody recommend one.

Thank you

rdave13 01:20 28 Dec 2007

If you have time download and run PC wizard 2008. Will show info on graphics card. click here

Doug29 01:45 28 Dec 2007

Downloaded PC wizard 2008 and run it. I don't know what I am supposed to be looking at and why.

rdave13 09:56 28 Dec 2007

List opens so click on 'video card'. It then shows you which icon to click on in the left pane. Click on that. In right pane click on video card again. In the new list should show info on card, especially the bus type. Ie, PCI, AGP or pci-e, the type of card you need to replace with.

Rayuk 10:16 28 Dec 2007

There are a few 9800 All in Wonder cards on ebay for £25 + £5 postage

Search for agp 9800

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?