Recovery of XP

User-7BF0BA46-9383-43F9-A74EB865DFA586D5 20:24 18 May 2005

Had a Windows has recovewred from serious error message, on reboot, got a desktop and no icons, cannot run MSDOS window and no access to any files via Task Manager, when trying to run a p[rogram get message this program has no associations go to folder etc, but cannot get to folder....

Anyway using XP disk to recover asks me to use recovery console, but then asks for administrator password, I did not use one when setting machine up - not needed, but recovery will not allow no entry as pressing enter exits the program!!!

Any ideas as to howe I get round this, would like to as I am not too keen on installing XP all over again - OH, why didn't I keep the drive image up to date -

Any help greatly appreciated

Completealias 20:33 18 May 2005

Rather than the recovery console why not try repairing the xp instalation. Instead of pressing r for the recovery console continue with an installation and then it asks if you would like to repair the current xp install, follow the on screen instructions and this will repair your installation.

I have done this and not lost any personal information on the drive I just had to reinstall all my windows updates and possibly programs although I can't remember now

thanks, wasn't sure waht happened if I went forward on installation, giving it a go now.

Problem is with my laptop, so still got desktop, to which I had backed up my files, but will now make sure I get a drive image backup at least monthly.

thanks

Completealias 20:52 18 May 2005

No probs

Its always the way tell everyone else to backup n then forget to do your own

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?