recovery of working hard drive documents

User-607600DE-6B22-4475-8CD565A723204C45 09:45 15 Feb 2009

hopefully this is an easy one to answer?

i have a pc which is dead and i am going to strip usable componenets for a new build.
the hard drive is 6mnths old and still working .
before i format it for a brand new system i want to recover some of my daughters photos and music from the drive (sata).
although it has an operating system on it can i plug the drive into a spare sata drive plug in my own pc without the risk of this pc trying to launch the old OS on the old drive.
my reasoning behind this is no jumpers so i cannot eg make this drive a slave and ensure its not in the order of booting?
then all being well i can access the files to recover and then format it in the new machine?

Technotiger 09:53 15 Feb 2009

Put the drive into a SATA USB Enclosure, you will then be able to access its contents.

Technotiger 09:56 15 Feb 2009

Or possible better still, get a USB to IDE & SATA cable.

click here

i didnt really want to go down this route ,
the harddrive is going to be in a system so the enclosure will be worthless ,the leads are expensive too .
i cannot see any real issue with using the drive in another pc other than the fact the os is on it?

thanks any way technotiger!

Technotiger 10:21 15 Feb 2009

The OS on it should not be a problem, whatever PC it is attached to, internally or otherwise, that PC will be set to boot from its normal System anyway.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:26 15 Feb 2009

Yes you can plug it into a spare SATA socket on your motherboard, The BIOS will boot from the sata sockets in turn I.E. if it finds a system on 1 then it will boot from that before attempting to boot from a drive on socket 2

thanks fruit bat/technotiger you have confirmed my own thoughts but better safe than sorry

subject closed thanks!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017