recovery using Acronis

Ray5776 21:28 10 Mar 2007

not a good day, seem to have lost a lot of data.
I did a full backup to a removable 80gb hard drive using Acronis (this is a paid for genuine one)
I want to copy the whole of the backup back onto my c drive. I thought this was the whole idea of Acronis.
When I try to recover my data from using Acronis my D drIive I only get 2 options back or cancel.
I think that if I chose something it will work but I want restore the WHOLE drive is this not the point of having a backup.

ray

woodchip 21:32 10 Mar 2007

Do you have the Acronis CD?

woodchip 21:38 10 Mar 2007

If you have the Acronis CD try starting the computer with the Drive Connected and the CD in the drive. Then after it loads Acronis to memory choose Recover.You then brows to the Image on the drive

cyclingchef 21:40 10 Mar 2007

Ray, I use Acronis True Image 9 to create backup images of my partitions. Now I am no expert on this powerful program but I KNOW that backing up to external drives is very much hit and miss.
There is much evidence of this on the net !
I have my hdd split into C/D/E and I use E as the backup folder for C/D. Now I know if you totally lose your hard drive you lose the lot so periodically I also save C/D partitions to DVD+R
I guess this reply is not really a lot of help ?
Roy

woodchip 21:43 10 Mar 2007

If the Image is on a External USB Drive, it as to be on the first Partition on the drive as Acronis will not see the other partitions.

Ray5776 13:18 11 Mar 2007

The drive that contains the backup data is a standard EIDE drive in a caddy.
I do have the Acronis CD but all it did was say "Acronis loading please wait" I went out for 3hours and the message remained on my return.

woodchip 15:05 11 Mar 2007

That's why when you loaded it at first on the Hard Drive you should have made a Rescue CD in Acronis. There is a way round this by reloading a Restore Disc or Running XP repair with the XP CD. You can then load Acronis to the Drive, Make the Rescue disc Reboot with the Rescue disc in the drive and then run Acronis Recover after it loads from the Recue disc into memory

Ray5776 15:53 11 Mar 2007

Thanks woodchip I am sure I will recover the lost data one way or another, just hate wasting my weekends on this sort of thing.
I have a feeling that I did make a rescue CD and will seek it out.
Just to make a point I can`t really see what this software has to offer other than to make things difficult.
All I used to do before I was told Acronis was the answer was to clone the hard drive, simple to do, simple to copy back lost data or even the whole drive

Thanks for your help

woodchip 15:58 11 Mar 2007

Well I use Acronis and it's saved me day's and weeks of reloading

Ray5776 17:33 11 Mar 2007

Fair comment woodchip but not so in my case as I have just found out on my first attempt to restore something.
I don`t find it easy to use and feel it has little to offer as a paid for bit of software.
Surely if you had just cloned your drives you would have been able to sort it without the need for Acronis. Personally I find the product difficult to use and and I still can`t see what it can do that can`t be done with DisKclone.

Thanks anyway just my opions

woodchip 18:36 11 Mar 2007

Check my post's click here
You cannot do that with a cloned Image

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?