Recovery program Packard Bell

dugit 21:19 02 Jun 2004

1. With a Packard Bell which has only a 31/2inch recovery diskette and you want to return the computer to the original factory settings (in process it removes all files and changes you have added).
2. When restoration is finished you restart your computer by pressing any key and the Windows XP installation procedure will start which will take about one hour when it will reintroduce all the original software and restore the hardware configuration. When this has finished you have to perform the first start process just like the first time you switched on your computer.
Is this procedure above (which I have copied from the Packard Bell instructions) as straightforward as above or is anything else important missing?
3. Another question where about is all the start up software held on the hard disk which prevents you from deleting it ?

VoG II 21:26 02 Jun 2004

1 & 2 - yes it *should* be straightforward. Be aware that in the process of reverting to factory settings it will delete all your added programs, documents, e-mails, favorites etc. etc.

3 - if you mean where is the information that it uses to restore? - it is on a hidden partition on your hard drive.

dugit 21:43 02 Jun 2004

To Vog: Many thanks for the answer as I thought the recovery program was difficult to do because when I bought my Packard Bell from PC world I was given to understand it was something never to be contemplated.

VoG II 21:45 02 Jun 2004

I had a Packard Bell which I subsequently sold on. Before I did so I did a "restore" - absolutely straightforward and took about an hour.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?