Recovery Prog on P.B laptop not working

NChick 14:44 16 Feb 2009

Hi, I've had it up to here with my Packard Bell laptop and want to run its Recovery Program. The manual tells me two things - 1, that it can be run outside of Winduhs (an invention of me, as far as I can tell) by pressing and holding F11; and 2, that it can also be run inside of Winduhs by going to an entry in the Start Menu.
Neither of these things are true! F11 does absolutely nothing (apart from slow down the already ridiculous boot), and the Recovery Program in the Start Menu does not feature the button highlighted in the Packard Bell manual (the one I need).
I have not transferred the program from the HDD to CDs, as is possible, therefore the button and F11 should still be present/work.
Help! My laptop is in a real state and I *need* to run the Recovery Program! :S

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:16 16 Feb 2009

Model Number?

NChick 16:27 16 Feb 2009

Right, model number - the model as indicated on the bottom of the laptop on a sticker, is "QUA-NR1", and the model number as indicated on the box it was bought in (thank god I've still got that) is G1340.
Does this help in some way?
(yes, I know it's an old laptop and I am looking to upgrade, but I need this one right now!) :)

Sea Urchin 16:57 16 Feb 2009

Maybe try tapping F11 during boot rather than holding it.

If that works then select the option Recovery Program (or Packard Bell Recovery Program).

In the next screen, select the option Non-destructive recovery.

Follow the instructions presented on the screen to perform a non-destructive system recovery.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:58 16 Feb 2009

So its an Esaynote
lots of PB downloads at click here
Recovery CDs and guides.

NChick 17:07 16 Feb 2009

I've had a look at the site. Two things - it's so messily laid out I couldn't find what I was after, and I don't really trust sites with such bad grammar/spelling ("We think you might of been looking"?!)
Yes, it's an Easynote (I probably should have said that in the first place, soz) :)
I've tried all manner of tapping/holding combos, Sea Urchin. The manual says to hold for a few seconds when the Packard Bell logo comes up, but this does not work.
Any recovery I did do (assuming I can get the damn thing to work) would be a destructive recovery - I've backed everything up, so if I can just get it to do this final step, I'm "home free" :)

T0SH 18:08 16 Feb 2009

There is lots of support information here for your laptop

click here

There is also a forum link if you need to ask

Cheers HC

woodchip 18:36 16 Feb 2009

Recovery will only work if it was made when the Laptop was new

NChick 18:39 16 Feb 2009

It's not the Winduhs system recovery, woodchip, it's P.B's own which is permanently on the HDD unless it is written to a disc, which has not been done. This is what's causing most of my confusion - even in the event of running the recovery prog and thus restoring the laptop to an "as sold new" state, the recovery prog should still be there.

woodchip 18:40 16 Feb 2009

Do you get the Black Screen with "Press F11 to Rescue" in white text at the top. As I have a HP thats how it works F10 for BIOS. see if it will go to BIOS while tapping F10 at boot. if it does try default settings, save before exit

NChick 18:42 16 Feb 2009

Nope, no different screens, just boots as normal - slower if I try pressing/holding F11 (which I have confirmed to be the correct key to trigger the recovery prog)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?