Recovery help please !!!!!

sicknote 15:46 20 Apr 2004

Hi All
I have friends H/D which will not run on his PC due to error on the drive.I can read the drive on my PC no problem but cannot save/open any of his work as the folders (doc& settings) seem to be protected as it says ? is not accessible access is denied. he did have passwords to log on with (3 people using machine) so is there a way open the folders.
Any ideas.
I have tried recovery,reinstall using winxp disc but it only goes as far as 27 mins left for install and stops

JayDay 16:15 20 Apr 2004

If its XP you can startup in Safe Mode and log on as Administrator. It worked for me when I had a similar problem

sicknote 17:23 20 Apr 2004

Sorry it will not start in safe mode.i think the H/D is damaged somewhere on it, but as i said i can read it on another PC and it will not start up in any mode or recover.

Diemmess 17:56 20 Apr 2004

Why not piggy back the dodgy HD for the moment on your computer and then see if (booted on your Disk) you can open any folders, or even boot yours in safe mode first. ..........It sounds like your friend's HD is in serious trouble, but you need to gather important data before doing anything serious to that disk.

AndySD 18:11 20 Apr 2004

Is your pc XP Pro?

sicknote 18:22 20 Apr 2004

Hi all
I have connected it via a caddie to my PC and i can see the drive and it's contents,My problem is the folders in doc & settings that he needs i can't open or copy or move, all i get is access is denied.I know he passworded these folders and problem i need to get around.

TKS

sicknote 18:23 20 Apr 2004

Sorry AndySd, yes my PC is XP Pro

AndySD 18:23 20 Apr 2004
  AndySD 18:25 20 Apr 2004

You need to take ownership of the files.

Turn off Simple File Sharing:

Click Start, and then click My Computer.

On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.

Under Advanced Settings, click to clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box, and then click OK.

Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message, if one appears.

Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
Click OK.

You may receive the following error message, where Folder is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory Folder. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.

Click Yes.

Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and the folder contents.

sicknote 18:36 20 Apr 2004

AndySd Many Thanks for your advise, it worked and i can now sleep tonight.
Top marks !!!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?