Recovery disks for new laptop

Am Feadan 14:45 24 Mar 2008

Hi! All
A friend of mine bought a new laptop on Saturday, it had been on display at Comet for about 4 weeks,it is an HP with quite good specs.( cant remember the model )anyway when she booted it up for the first time it said to create recovery disks and it would take 9 disks, for each disk you have to wait while it collects Data then writes the Data and then verifys the Data,then after all that it says that there have been errors and to put in a new disk, up till now she has spent hours and only managed to make 3 disks.Is this right and does she have to create all the 9 disks? any help would be much appreciated.

Am Feadan 15:02 24 Mar 2008

Forgot to mention that her OS is Vista Home Premium,I will try and find out a bit more about the Specs.of the machine.

sunny staines 15:10 24 Mar 2008

takeit back to the store.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:14 24 Mar 2008

You certainly need to create these disks but they should not take this long.

I agree brand new and having problems take it back!

rdave13 15:17 24 Mar 2008

Have a Compaq (HP) laptop with Vista H Premium and it took one DVD to make the backup. It will take more discs to create a restore using CD's.
I'd go with sunny staines and take it back to the store.

Am Feadan 19:43 25 Mar 2008

Hi. All,thanks for the replys to my post,my friend has now made all of the recovery disks,she had to change the make of disks to finish the job as the drive failed to recognise Philips CD-R,but all is now well and she is a lot happier,thanks again for your time.
regards Am Feadan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?