Recovery disks dont work after repair!

chansm 23:51 02 Feb 2007

Hi all.

Yes, it may seem obvious, but I gotta give you the background to it first, to make sure all bases are covered:

My mums e-machines pc got hit by a surge (despite having a protector), and it blew out the board and the PSU. She had it repaired at a local shop, and has recently decided she wanted a new install doing, with all her stuff backing up in the mean time.

The thing is, because its not an e-machines motherboard, the recovery disks dont work. I have tried several times, and each time I get a blue screen flashing up before the damned thing reboots itself, and goes into the 'Safe Mode' menu.

Ive sent a mail to both the shop and to e-machines to see what they suggest. Technically, she has a license to run XP, but the repair done is stopping her from being able to reload it... so should the shop supply a copy of XP, or re-install it under good faith???!

Has anyone got any suggestions? Although I'm holding all her data files, the HDD on her machine is blank at the moment, and I really don't know what to do next!

ed-0 00:03 03 Feb 2007

Borrow an XP disk that matches the operating system of e-machine. e.g. windows XP home.

Run a fresh install and input your mums microsoft 25 digit code.

If the original installation was an OEM disk, you will need to re- activate anyway, tell them that the old motherboard blew in a power surge. They should re-activate windows, if it works.

Taff™ 08:00 03 Feb 2007

Can You post back the exact e-machine model number? There is a support site click here and there you may find all the drivers and utilities you need. I assume you have the drivers for the new motherboard.

click here and scroll down to the post from Dan on 27 January which exactly explains the situation and echoes ed-0`s recommendation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone