Recovery disk doesn't work

CloudRider 13:07 02 Oct 2009

Hi all.
My 4 year old laptop won't boot to windows, and I have tried to get it boot into XP via chkdsk (reports fixed errors) and then finally tried the Toshiba recovery DVD. The recovery disk completes 100% ghost image but then still fails to boot. I spoke to Toshiba to try another DVD but they say they don't produce them anynore and I should repurchase XP. Doesn't UK law state that the vendor has to provide for the consumer to be able to recover the PC back to factory defaults? I don't think I have HDD problems, it's just the DVD doesn't seem to drop the image back on the drive although it looks like it completes, so I would hope a new recovery disk would do the trick.
Thanks.

woodchip 13:27 02 Oct 2009

Warranty only cover Hardware, not Software

Confab 13:28 02 Oct 2009

When you say “fails to boot” - What happens? Do you get any error messages? How far into the boot process does you laptop go?

woodchip 15:27 02 Oct 2009

When you chose chkdsk did you tell it to do a full scan, As if there are bad spots on the drive the Restore CD would not be able to write the bad spots, hence it not completing

sharpamat 15:55 02 Oct 2009

When you used your recovary disc did you boot with it in the drive and follow the instructions on screen to boot from the disc

Did you have an xp disc as well as a recovary disc. If you did then put the XP disc in the drive and run Scannow ( full detials in the forums ) or use your xp disc and recovary consol

CloudRider 16:56 02 Oct 2009

Hey thanks all..
In reply, XP splash screen came up then goes into a cyclic reboot, no error messages. recovery console reckoned system32 was corrupted. chkdsk did a full scan and said it repaired things, but same symptoms. I booted the recovery DVD from DVD boot and followed the restore, and I watch Ghost progress bar complete 100% with no errors. Then it says reboot which I do, then same again.

woodchip 17:01 02 Oct 2009

If you have a Full XP CD Start with CD choose Setup not Consul then Windows will look for a Operating System on the Drive when it finds it click on it to select it then press R for Repair

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:03 02 Oct 2009

"recovery console reckoned system32 was corrupted"

which things?

C:\Windows\System32\Config\System
C:\Windows\System32\Config\Software
C:\Windows\System32\Config\Sam
C:\Windows\System32\Config\Security
C:\Windows\System32\Config\Default

?

Do you have access to a XP CD?

CloudRider 10:19 03 Oct 2009

I do have full XP CD but I in my attempts to repair I did fully wipe the HDD and start an install, but then though "why should I use one of my licences when I have the recovery DVD". SO I know XP is beyond repair now, it's really just why recovery DVD isn't playing ball. So my options are install XP using my licence or chase Toshiba for a DVD, hence the question abou the law. I'm sure the vendors have to provide a way of recovery??
Thanks everyone for your valuable input. Incidentally it was C:\Windows\System32\Config\System that was corrupted, but it's well beyond that now.

cream. 10:29 03 Oct 2009

use your xp disk to load windows and then use the Toshiba's windows 25 digit code to authorise it?

tullie 11:03 03 Oct 2009

The vendor does supply a means of recovery but if you wiped the Hard Drive,maybe youve wiped the recovery partition also?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017