Recovery Disk

Alexx_B 17:32 08 Aug 2008

I have had this laptop for about 2 months. I haven't been asked to make a recovery disk, do I need one?

On my last comp I was asked to make one, but not on this one.

Its a Dell Inspiron 1720 with vista.

woodchip 17:34 08 Aug 2008

You should create some kind of recovery Disc, I would recommend Acronis True Image before you have problems

Pamy 17:34 08 Aug 2008

What does the manual say?

iqs 17:37 08 Aug 2008

Were you supplied any type of recovery discs or OS discs?

If not,there should be an option(all programs,or look in the manual) to create a recovery disc that will work on that laptop only.

My Compaq laptop had a program that allowed me to create one set of back up discs.Once this was actioned,the option was no longer available.

Alexx_B 17:41 08 Aug 2008

With previous computer (a packard bell) it asked for a disk to be made and I did, I thought this one wouls ask for one to be made aswell. I am quite surprised it hasn't.

Haven't heard of Acronis True Image before, what is that?

As for the manual, I haven't fully read that, but I. I have just found it and will give it a read.

woodchip 17:46 08 Aug 2008

click here

Scroll down to read

Alexx_B 17:49 08 Aug 2008

Yes iqs, it did come with disks. I had forgotten.

I have

Operating System
Drivers and Utilities
Works 9
Drivers and Utilities (Web Cam)
Roxio Creator
Application (for Dell Media Direct)

Will these do instead of a recovery disk?

ronalddonald 18:46 08 Aug 2008

operating disc should be disc that allows you to reinstall the operating system but double check with your emanaul.

If something goes wrong this disc would be used to reinstal the operating system, then the drivers and utilities. and then any other software discs.

Out of curiosity what operating sytem is it??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:48 08 Aug 2008

They are better than a recovery disk, you have all you need to reinstall the operating system and drivers.

DO NOT FORGET to backup your documents and pictures on a regular basis.

iqs 20:55 08 Aug 2008

Like the others have said,the operating system disc is the one which will re-install the OS

lotvic 21:38 08 Aug 2008

page 136 of your owners manual tells you how to use the hidden partition to restore the Computer to the Default Factory Configuration. (Vista)
As the computer starts, press <F8> until the Advanced Boot Options
menu appears on the screen.
select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press <Enter>.
Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.
Click Dell Factory Image Restore.

step by step instructions are in the manual.

Use Woodchips link for Acronis True Image.
You would find the program acronis True Image to be of benefit. It is well worth the purchase price. A lot of people on here use it to make their own harddrive images as you can also save your data files and emails etc. and keep it updated. It is also very easy to use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie